Cam chain removal question

14 replies to this topic
  • Ebola

Posted February 14, 2010 - 02:29 PM

Is it possible to remove the cam chain without removing the front cam chain tensioner? I can get the chain of of the rear of the crank sprocket, but the front cam chain guide is holding the chain on there.

• ch_250

Posted February 15, 2010 - 01:47 PM

i doubt it, why would you want to do that anyway?

• Ebola

Posted February 15, 2010 - 02:45 PM

To replace it with a new, not worn out chain.

• bakeyz426f

Posted February 15, 2010 - 03:21 PM

you have to take off the tensioner to get slack to get the chain off the cam gears and the crank gear.

• Ebola

Posted February 15, 2010 - 03:57 PM

Slack is not the problem. I can get the rear tensioner off, the cams are out, so slack is not a problem. I can't get the chain out from between the front cam chain and the front of the crank gear.

• bakeyz426f

Posted February 15, 2010 - 04:19 PM

do you have the rotor and stator removed so you can access the crank gear? you proboly will have to play with it a little to get it out but i think you might have to remove the startor and rotor to access the crank gear so you can guide the chain off and around the crank gear. i just replaced mine and i had to do this on my wr426f. you have to have a rotor puller tool though to get the rotor of the crank.

• Ebola

Posted February 15, 2010 - 05:59 PM

Here is my progress. The chain is getting hung up on the front chain guide and the front of the sprocket. Can it be wedged out of there without damaging something or do I need to remove the front guide?
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bakeyz426f

Posted February 15, 2010 - 07:05 PM

i wouldnt force anything too much. i think i had i little trouble getting mine off too. is there any wiggle room at all? i only had to loosen the other guide but from the picture it looks like you already did. i would try puttig the loose side back on the crank gear and then trying to get your problem side off first.

• Ebola

Posted February 15, 2010 - 08:05 PM

The chain comes off of the sprocket maybe half a tooth. I'll see what I can do with your suggestion.

Update: Just checked the clearance. There's no way that chain is coming off without removing the guide. Maybe it's only the 98's that have this issue. Looks like I'll be pulling the head.

Edited by Ebola, February 15, 2010 - 08:41 PM.

• ch_250

Posted February 17, 2010 - 06:57 PM

a simple solution would be to get a cam chain breaker.

• Ebola

Posted February 17, 2010 - 07:48 PM

Simple, but not cheap. I don't think the new one is designed to be broken when installed, unless I'm wrong which is quite possible.

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:54 AM

a simple solution would be to get a cam chain breaker.

Now, I suppose that means that the new one will also need to be cut open to install it? What's your proposal for replacing the missing pin? Where will we get one? Stuff like that.

• Ebola

Posted February 20, 2010 - 06:58 PM

As it turns out, I did use the chain breaker idea. I cut a couple of pins off with a dremel and pulled the chain out. I then put the chain on by angling and cussing and pulling the rear tensioner out a little more that I feel comfortable with and I eventually got it to go on. Thanks to everyone for their input. I can start to put this thing back together now.

Best of all, I don't have to pull the head... For now.

• cejay_2k

Posted August 21, 2010 - 03:32 AM

Just for information you can get the chain of without removing the tensioner. Just did mine last night. Get it off the tensioner side as far as possible and then keeoing the 'left' side tight turn the crankshaft clockwise ..... a bit like when you take a bicycle chain on or off the sprocket by turning the wheel of crank. Worked a treat. No damage, it just forces the cam chain guide out of the way just enough to squeeze it out.

• sacfelix

Posted August 21, 2010 - 07:01 AM

You dont need a cam chain breaker to remove the cam chain on any of the yzf's. If you going to install a new cam chain then you need to remove the tensioner. Once that is removed slowly feed the cam chain down towards the crank while pulling the slack out the bottom with your hand and as the chain gets longer it becomes flexible enough to clear the case and pulls right out.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.