Reusable oil filters?

5 replies to this topic
  • Jason

Posted December 01, 2000 - 03:07 PM

I heard someone mention a reusable oil filter here. Where you'd get it? I looked in chaparral and asked at my yamaha shop, they've never heard of them.
Or maybe I just misunderstood, do yall reuse the regular paper filters? This seems rather risky to me.

• Boit

Posted December 01, 2000 - 03:37 PM

Scott's Performance in Montrose California handles the permanent oil filters. These are claimed to be of a finer micron than stock and are made of stainless steel mesh. This is the same Scott's that makes the steering dampner.

• holeshot

Posted December 01, 2000 - 03:44 PM

The stock brass screen filter in the YZF can be cleaned and re-used many times. Many are still using the original filter in their '98 YZF's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeOK

Posted December 01, 2000 - 05:45 PM

I've found I can get about 4 or 5 oil changes out of the stock type filters before the cheezy rubber seals start to get compressed. I use mineral spirits to clean it then use a rag to get the little flecks out of it.

• Tony_Williams

Posted December 02, 2000 - 11:45 PM

I've re-used my oil screen dozens of times. The screen at the bottom of the oil resevoir has never been contaminated.

Tony Williams
YZ400F (98)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 04, 2000 - 06:14 AM

I reuse my metal mess oil filters also with no problems. I clean it with a spray can of brake parts cleaner, works great. Most of you probably already know this if you own a 2 smoke, brake parts cleaner works great for cleaning fouled spark plugs also. Spray it on, let it drip dry, and in just a few seconds you have a clean/dry plug. A new plug is always best but a clean spare plug sometimes comes in handy.

Paul in AZ

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.