how to improve an 06 450 handling

13 replies to this topic
  • speedygixx

Posted February 13, 2010 - 08:15 PM

made the mistake of riding my buddys 08 ktm 250f sx/xc on some fast single track and damn!!!that thing is planted.any tips on how to make the 06 handle better in the tight stuff?

• Family Man

Posted February 13, 2010 - 09:07 PM

Raise the forks to the first line 5mm. Set the tires at about 8 psi, stay on the gas in the corners.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:36 AM

search under 06 handling - tons of info on this

• KJ790

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:39 AM

24mm clamps help a bit too. Here's a tip, I just picked up a set of applied 24mm clamps from motosport.com for $217. The secret is that they are discounting them for an 07 YZ250F, but not he 06 YZ450F. The clamps are the same other than the length of the steering stem, so I bought them for the 250F and swapped the stem out for my stock one, saved me around $170.

• hillclimbguy

Posted February 14, 2010 - 09:51 AM

Wow! Thanks for the tip.

• mx369

Posted February 14, 2010 - 10:20 AM

I put 22mm from Ride Engineering and its GREAT.. Still has top end stability

• mxpimp18

Posted February 14, 2010 - 02:34 PM

My buddy said his Dr. D radiator lowering kit worked good for motocross. Maybe this will help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • speedygixx

Posted February 14, 2010 - 03:49 PM

thanks for the tips guys!!

• mx369

Posted February 16, 2010 - 12:27 PM

I wanted to try the lowering tabs but my fmf pipe is to close already

• cowboyona426

Posted February 16, 2010 - 12:50 PM

Ride faster. Seriously! I found out that the harder I push the bike by carrying more speed into corners the more planted and stable the front end felt. If I was casual cruising (on the trails, I'm not an MX guy) at an average speed the bike always feels unstable/floppy in corners. If I push myself and ride harder than my normal pace, it seems to stick much better and be more predictable. Try it, it's free.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 16, 2010 - 01:02 PM

Ride faster. Seriously! I found out that the harder I push the bike by carrying more speed into corners the more planted and stable the front end felt. If I was casual cruising (on the trails, I'm not an MX guy) at an average speed the bike always feels unstable/floppy in corners. If I push myself and ride harder than my normal pace, it seems to stick much better and be more predictable. Try it, it's free.

you no i noticed that too.. all i ride now is woods and i havent had anyproblems with making the bike turn even going slow. but when i really push my self the bike just sticks. i couldent be happeir.

• speedygixx

Posted February 16, 2010 - 02:08 PM

I ride all woods and fast single track and feel like i'm pushing it pretty hard trying to keep up with my fast b rider friends.The front just seems nervous compared to my buddys ktm.I'm gonna play with some settings and see what happens.I've always been a dunlop guy and have been running the 756 but may try something else to see if it helps.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 16, 2010 - 02:35 PM

I ride all woods and fast single track and feel like i'm pushing it pretty hard trying to keep up with my fast b rider friends.The front just seems nervous compared to my buddys ktm.I'm gonna play with some settings and see what happens.I've always been a dunlop guy and have been running the 756 but may try something else to see if it helps.

Try the Kenda Washougal, it helped a lot on mine.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 16, 2010 - 04:19 PM

Try the Kenda Washougal, it helped a lot on mine.

try the MT 16 front..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.