2008 YZ 450F Engine problems...Skipping 5th gear

5 replies to this topic
  • laity116

Posted February 13, 2010 - 06:45 PM

I have had my bike for exactlly a year now and has ran great until last week i was out riding and was in 5th gear when it started to skip and cut out and lose power, it wont let me get to the top of 5th gear and makes a clicking noise... I tore it down and checked the valves and the carb, along with draining the tank and checking my clutches and basket everything was good to go but still experiecing the problem. It only happens in 5th gear about half throttle... Any advice or help?

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2010 - 09:10 PM

Will it run alright at full throttle, or not take any more than half? Does it seem otherwise normal in all other gears?

When the skipping occurs, does it seem as if there is some mechanical part that will not hold the load, like the chain jumping teeth, or a gear skipping?

• laity116

Posted February 14, 2010 - 12:49 PM

It wont run at full throttle alright it skips or cuts out from about mid to full... It is normal in all gears except 5th... It seems like a gear is skipping or something or maybe the bike wont hold the load... We changed the jets today and it still has the same problem...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2010 - 03:10 PM

It's not the engine, it's the transmission. The locking lugs on the sides of the 5th and 3rd pinion gears (on the main shaft) are rounded over to the point where instead of holding in gear under a load, the two are pushing away from each other against the shift fork, the lugs jumping from one slot to the next. The only fix for this is to replace the two gears. The shift fork will also have become bent by this, and will need replacement as well.

• Blaster21996

Posted July 18, 2010 - 05:29 PM

It's not the engine, it's the transmission. The locking lugs on the sides of the 5th and 3rd pinion gears (on the main shaft) are rounded over to the point where instead of holding in gear under a load, the two are pushing away from each other against the shift fork, the lugs jumping from one slot to the next. The only fix for this is to replace the two gears. The shift fork will also have become bent by this, and will need replacement as well.

How many hours would this repair take?

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2010 - 06:47 PM

It involves a complete tear down. The cases have to be split. A pro could probably bang it out in 4 hours. In a home shop, it just depends.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.