YZ 2010 starting procedure

4 replies to this topic
  • Pat E

Posted February 13, 2010 - 03:41 PM

I feel stupid even asking this but... I have been riding/racing 2t my whole life and the '10 YZ 450 will be the first 4t I've owned, (when it shows up??) and my question is- what is the official starting procedure, besides not touching the throttle. Finding TDC, then.... Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2010 - 05:47 PM

For one thing, it's not top dead center (TDC) you're looking for, it's the start of the compression stroke; the "hard spot", if you will. There's a huge difference.

Push the starter until you encounter resistance, reset the lever to the top, and kick it through compression. Normally, you would do this with the throttle closed, but if it refuses to start in a couple of kicks try it with the throttle opened very slightly. If it's cold, use the cold start button (choke).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shogren65

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:30 AM

Yup exactly what gray said. Compression stroke is def key. Slight throttle if needed.

• Pat E

Posted February 14, 2010 - 11:24 AM

Thanks guys! Now I just need the bike to come in.... guess you gotta be fast or know someone to get one. I put a deposit on a blue one in October!

• Thumper38

Posted February 15, 2010 - 09:53 AM

Find the hard spot and give it a good kick and Braaappppp. Mine started in two kicks yesterday 22 degrees and has not been started in almost three weeks! I am not sure why people are having a hard time starting the 2010!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.