2008 COmplete engine rebuild

25 replies to this topic
  • Sick Of It All

Posted March 12, 2010 - 01:18 PM

been there.. done that.. it hurts.. but if you put some iodine on it.. it hardens it up real quick..
Posted Image

• verlo18

Posted March 14, 2010 - 08:56 AM

the 08 450 is very well known for engine slap, mine has been knocking down low for probly 30 hours and have seen no issues in performance or wear and tear

• husky390or

Posted March 14, 2010 - 04:14 PM

As of saturday night at 11:35pm i completed the build of the bike. The list is as follows..

1. Replaced all engine bearings, mains, counter balancer, water pump, etc and seals coinciding.
2. replaced all tranny bearings except for clutch pull lever on case
3. Replaced crank/CRod assy
4. Replaced piston, rings, wristpin, and cylinder
5. replaced all gaskets, all seals, etc.

As far as the motor is concerned, I basically replaced wear parts. The knock that originally initiated this teardown was diagnosed to be piston slap due to wear on piston and cylinder. The knock is gone. everything shifts, runs, pulls, twists, etc as good as when new. With the addition of the suspension and the steering stabilizer, she is very stable and holds lines better than any bike i've ridden to date. I am very happy with my setup. I want to post pics and will try later tonight

What was your total cost for the engine/tranny overhaul?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brawg

Posted March 15, 2010 - 09:29 PM

I'd love to be able to tell you, but the pile of invoices and receipts is still staring at me. To be honest, i'm kinda scared to total it up. However, I will try to do so asap and post it up.

• Brawg

Posted March 15, 2010 - 09:31 PM

sick of it all,
Nice one, i prefer to have NO blisters ever. I rode 40 miles at white rock this past weekend....one weekend after initially incurring the blisters and i'll have to say that my hands are holding up well. Hopefully, i am layering on "tough" skin that will endure, as i am racing a 75 mile enduro this coming weekend! I cant wait, i'm almost about to jump outta my shoes to go riding again!

• Brawg

Posted October 23, 2010 - 08:52 PM

Doing the top end again now and having some issues with the whole "getting it running" part of the rebuild. Something has gone arai!

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.