06 YZ450F Broken Shift Fork Questions

3 replies to this topic
  • Flyin Ryan

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:39 PM

I have a 2006 YZ450F that broke the shaft part of the 2nd gear shift fork, this is the second time. I split the cases and the only thing that looked bad was the the shift fork, the gears looked good etc etc. I replaced the shift fork, bench tested it and everything seemed good........but 3 rides later the excat same thing happened again. Once again I have the cases split and looks like the only problem is the brokes shift fork shaft....anybody see anything like this before?? any suggestions??

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2010 - 07:24 AM

Never heard of it. Where exactly along the shaft did it break? Under what circumstance? Anything unusual happen to the bike before it broke the first time?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flyin Ryan

Posted February 12, 2010 - 09:35 AM

It broke both times where the roller pin that goes through the middle of shaft is that holds it to the shift fork. It is on my kids bike and the first time the shift shaft was also bent.....so maybe he hit something? But of course I replaced the shift shaft the first time and it is fine now.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2010 - 09:52 AM

Do you recall which way it was bent?

The only thing that comes to mind is that the output shaft could be bent, causing the gear to run off center, and that that may be applying a repetitious lateral force on the shaft. That seems like somewhat of a stretch, though.

Otherwise, all I can think of is that your son is a gorilla with size 18 shoes, and is stomping the living crap out of things going to second.

Are there any unusual wear marks on the fork?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.