Does the RMX force Yamaha's hand to upgrade the WRF

15 replies to this topic
  • YamaLink

Posted February 11, 2010 - 09:45 AM

Other than low fuel range and a stock-not-easy-to-start issue, the RMX450Z will hopefully make Yamaha take another look at the WRF.

http://cyclenews.com...the-new-rmx450z

• JDLowrance

Posted February 11, 2010 - 10:51 AM

No forcing required.

The 2011 WR450 will be injected and based on the 2010 YZ-F.

That may or may not be a good thing. Time will tell.

John

PS Economy willing ofcourse.

• klossWR450

Posted February 11, 2010 - 12:07 PM

2010 RMX -123.5 kg (272.3 lbs) , 2007 WR - 112,5 (247 lbs), I'll stay with the WR

• rkwfxd1

Posted February 11, 2010 - 01:56 PM

Not in my mind. I love my WR more each time I ride it. I waited a long time and did a lot of surfing and research before I finally wrote a check. I saved for a long time and I could have paid cash for any bike out there including KTM but in the end, I thought the current Wr would be perfect for me. I was right.

It is plenty fast, and with the 52T rear sprocket it is geared perfect for my riding style, with the free mods and fatter jetting it never over heats, never stalls, doesn't bog and has a power band that feels like it was designed for me, it is comfortable, bullet proof, not nearly as hard to work on as I feared and with my Calrke 3.6 gallon tank I can ride all day. (But dang am I sore the next day:lol:)

I'm not saying anything negative about any of the other brands or bikes, just that the WR450 has turned out to be everything I hoped for and wanted and more in a dirtbike.

• myoung

Posted February 11, 2010 - 02:46 PM

Suzuki isn't forcing any body's hand, they're trying to catch up.

• YZEtc

Posted February 11, 2010 - 02:49 PM

2010 RMX -123.5 kg (272.3 lbs) , 2007 WR - 112,5 (247 lbs), I'll stay with the WR

I'll bet those weights are like comparing apples and oranges because the WR weight is a dry weight figure, while the other is a wet weight.

If you go to www.yamaha-motor.com and read the specs on the 2009 WR-450F, you'll see it has a claimed wet weight of 272 lbs.

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 11, 2010 - 02:51 PM

Well to be fair the 272.3 lbs is with fuel. Still the WR is about 3 lbs lighter with a half a gallon more fuel. The RMZ is a nice bike but not really any significant improvement over the WR unless your dieing for FI. Frankly after seeing all the trouble the Honda guys are having with the CRF I think I'm happy with a carb. Pain to jet but stone cold reliable. I'm sure it'll get better as the technology matures but for now I'll just wait.

• panaman

Posted February 11, 2010 - 06:04 PM

looks like a cool bike........ dunno about the 1.6 gallon tank... i am sure the after market tanks will be coming soon for it....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freerider_australia

Posted February 12, 2010 - 04:38 AM

i got the 2010 yz450 and if they bring it out in 2011 as a wr it would be the best offroad bike i would never buy a carb bike again the fi is the best i would buy the rmx if i could road register it in auatralia but luckly you wont be able to register it this year but next year i hope to have a choice rmx and wr if the wr come out 2011 the same as the yz i will get it if not the rmx
i have a wr450 with yz forks now and it a great bike i just want the latest tech
yamaha seem to have the fi working well

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted February 12, 2010 - 06:20 AM

It does look like a sweet bike ... unless you are skying off triple does the weight really matter? I do not think so - my DRZ does just fine in the woods, etc. - just do not take it to an mx track.

• yz-dwg

Posted February 12, 2010 - 09:16 AM

more importantly when will KTM cause Yama to kick it up, I have long thought that an electric start WR250 2 stroke with lights and YZ suspension could, if done right, compete with KTMs off road smokers. Heck I'd buy one....

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 12, 2010 - 10:44 PM

more importantly when will KTM cause Yama to kick it up, I have long thought that an electric start WR250 2 stroke with lights and YZ suspension could, if done right, compete with KTMs off road smokers. Heck I'd buy one....

Yamaha is all about volume.

The 2 stroke enduro market is already saturated with awesome offerings from KTM, Husqvarna, gas gas, TM, and sherco. I don't think a big company like yamaha could make a reasonable business case for it.

Actually, I'm surprised they still make the YZ 125 and YZ 250 :ride:

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 12, 2010 - 10:48 PM

No forcing required.

The 2011 WR450 will be injected and based on the 2010 YZ-F.

That may or may not be a good thing. Time will tell.

John

PS Economy willing ofcourse.

What did they do about range? Is the starter motor on the front of the engine like the YFZ 450R quad? Is it reasonable to expect a puzzle of "free mods" like the current and old bikes? Does the WR finally get the SSS fork? Plated?

Inquiring minds want to know :ride:

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 13, 2010 - 10:15 AM

Yamaha is all about volume.

The 2 stroke enduro market is already saturated with awesome offerings from KTM, Husqvarna, gas gas, TM, and sherco. I don't think a big company like yamaha could make a reasonable business case for it.

Actually, I'm surprised they still make the YZ 125 and YZ 250 :ride:

Modded YZ250's continue to be a VERY popular choice of weapon here in the Northwest.... you can buy one new, mod it out for off road racing and still pay less than most of the euro - trash offerings and in my opinion have a better bike in the end:thumbsup:

I agree with you in the sense that they cannot make a profitable go of it cause the general off roading public has got it stuck in there head that Orange is better than everything else...:lol:

This new RMX seems cool, I don't know about a FI bike that has starting issues though? That thing should fire instantaneously :ride:

• drtbk4ever

Posted February 15, 2010 - 09:52 AM

i got the 2010 yz450 and if they bring it out in 2011 as a wr it would be the best offroad bike i would never buy a carb bike again the fi is the best i would buy the rmx if i could road register it in auatralia but luckly you wont be able to register it this year but next year i hope to have a choice rmx and wr if the wr come out 2011 the same as the yz i will get it if not the rmx
i have a wr450 with yz forks now and it a great bike i just want the latest tech
yamaha seem to have the fi working well

I think I agree with you, but I have a hard time understanding your comments.

Please put some punctuation into your posts.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 16, 2010 - 07:22 AM

Modded YZ250's continue to be a VERY popular choice of weapon here in the Northwest.... you can buy one new, mod it out for off road racing and still pay less than most of the euro - trash offerings and in my opinion have a better bike in the end:thumbsup:

I agree with you in the sense that they cannot make a profitable go of it cause the general off roading public has got it stuck in there head that Orange is better than everything else...:ride:

This new RMX seems cool, I don't know about a FI bike that has starting issues though? That thing should fire instantaneously :ride:

Yz250's are also popular in the southwest. I got one. They aren't very expensive and are very, very reliable. Besides, Yamaha is not yet out of the 2 stroke game yet. That gives us 2 stroke owners a little comfort.

Regarding the publics fascination with the orange bikes... you gotta admit that there are a few things that they do right.

EFI would be a nice addition, but I'm not having any carb issues at all. Thanks to TT, I've got my carb dialed in and my throttle response is more than good enough for me. I never run out of power. I would think that there would be some other things that they could do to make the wr's more competitive.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.