gpr v4 or scotts for 2009 wr450?

21 replies to this topic
  • drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 07:44 AM

hi,

i did some reading and searching on this, and wanted to see what people current thoughts were on the battle? it appears that the gpr is much more widely available and is recommended/offered by Yamaha, so that would tend to influence me to go in their direction as a starting point to the conversation.

most of the threads are 2-3 years and not for the 07+ wr's so i wanted to see what peoples experience are with the newly revised stabilizers on the newer bikes?

it also appears for those of you that went with the gpr, no one went for the pro kit, any specific reason for that?

if i missed a relevant thread for an 09 wr, apologies in advance.

TIA for all information and replies

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 07:45 AM

p.s. if i plan to add stainless steel brake lines as well in the future, does this change what length i need? it appears some say that it will, but again no one has done both for my year bike that i found.

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:16 AM

The biggest difference between the GPR and the Scotts is that the Scotts releases on return and the GPR dampens both directions. That's not necesarilly desireable and some people find it annoying. I have always had Scotts on my bikes and loved them but recently bought a KTM that has a GPR V2. I haven't had a chance to put much seat time on it yet but looking forward to the comparison. The GPR owners I've talked with seem to like them.

• jlow

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:24 AM

i bought a used street version of the scotts damper(which damps both ways like the gpr, the dirt versions only damp on the way out from center). rebuilt it myself, and installed there submount kit which raises the handle bars about an inch. i love the thing and will never ride without one again. i've ridden a couple of bikes with the dirt version damper but didn't get enough seat time in rough terrain to compare it to the street version. i just installed an OS braking rotor and moose SS line(made by venhill). had no problems with the line as far as length and routing go.

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:25 AM

The biggest difference between the GPR and the Scotts is that the Scotts releases on return and the GPR dampens both directions. That's not necesarilly desireable and some people find it annoying.

just so i'm clear, which of those behaviors is not desirable?

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:30 AM

i bought a used street version of the scotts damper(which damps both ways like the gpr, the dirt versions only damp on the way out from center). rebuilt it myself, and installed there submount kit which raises the handle bars about an inch. i love the thing and will never ride without one again. i've ridden a couple of bikes with the dirt version damper but didn't get enough seat time in rough terrain to compare it to the street version. i just installed an OS braking rotor and moose SS line(made by venhill). had no problems with the line as far as length and routing go.

do you have the stock bars on your bike?

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:31 AM

The biggest difference between the GPR and the Scotts is that the Scotts releases on return and the GPR dampens both directions. That's not necesarilly desireable and some people find it annoying. I have always had Scotts on my bikes and loved them but recently bought a KTM that has a GPR V2. I haven't had a chance to put much seat time on it yet but looking forward to the comparison. The GPR owners I've talked with seem to like them.

did you get just the stabilizer, or the clamps + stabilizer?

also, are you running the stock bars?

• CATWORKS

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:37 AM

Up until a few months ago I had never ridden with one. After spending some time on a buddies bike I was very impressed. After purchasing my 530 I decided having one was a must. The added safety and stability was incredible. I guess if you havent ridden with one you wouldnt miss it, but since I dont think I would want one without it. I went with the GPR V4 it seemed to work best for my bike and heard from others they are very good. Dont know much about the scott. I am sure it is good as well. I think they are all priced about the same. I think you would most likely be happy with either. Just my two cents.:ride:

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:39 AM

Up until a few months ago I had never ridden with one. After spending some time on a buddies bike I was very impressed. After purchasing my 530 I decided having one was a must. The added safety and stability was incredible. I guess if you havent ridden with one you wouldnt miss it, but since I dont think I would want one without it. I went with the GPR V4 it seemed to work best for my bike and heard from others they are very good. Dont know much about the scott. I am sure it is good as well. I think they are all priced about the same. I think you would most likely be happy with either. Just my two cents.:ride:

i assume you just got the stabilizer, not the clamp kit right?

• jlow

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:47 AM

drick, i have the stock bars on my bike. as far as the differences in which way they damp and which is better is a matter of opinion. some believe that by not damping on the way back to center that the rider won't exert as much energy. others say that you don't always hit obstacles that force your front wheel to the outside. your wheel will get forced both out and back towards center by rocks, roots, etc.i have street version because i got a good deal on it from a friend. i talked to the guys at scotts about it before buying and was told it would work just fine and it has. jlow

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 10:57 AM

hi,

i did some reading and searching on this, and wanted to see what people current thoughts were on the battle? it appears that the gpr is much more widely available and is recommended/offered by Yamaha, so that would tend to influence me to go in their direction as a starting point to the conversation.

most of the threads are 2-3 years and not for the 07+ wr's so i wanted to see what peoples experience are with the newly revised stabilizers on the newer bikes?

it also appears for those of you that went with the gpr, no one went for the pro kit, any specific reason for that?

if i missed a relevant thread for an 09 wr, apologies in advance.

TIA for all information and replies

let me throw one other factor in here. seems like the major sticking point here is damping and how they do it differently.

what about the range of adjustment between the 2 units? after looking on their websites, it looks like the scotts may adjust significantly more than the gpr, is that relevant?

• CATWORKS

Posted February 11, 2010 - 11:03 AM

i assume you just got the stabilizer, not the clamp kit right?

Got the entire kit which raises the bars as well. This worked with the stock bars.

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 11:59 AM

Got the entire kit which raises the bars as well. This worked with the stock bars.

cool, that would seem to make it much more stable?

• jlow

Posted February 11, 2010 - 12:49 PM

i don't know that raising the bars will make it more stable, just offer a different riding position and room for the damper on the scotts. not sure on the mount setup for the GPR. the scotts has a high speed damping adjustment for big hits and a low speed adjustment for regular rocks, roots, etc. you can feel how the low speed adjustment works when just sitting on the bike and playing with the adjustment. i can't feel the high speed kick in and haven't tried adjusting to feel it but i have hit rocks so hard on the front that my wheel vibrated like a tuning fork(scared the poop out of me).i kept right on a rockin', didn't even change my intended path of travel!

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 11, 2010 - 02:41 PM

just so i'm clear, which of those behaviors is not desirable?

Some people prefer to have no dampening on the return. I don't know if it's a big deal or not since up to this point I've only ridden with the Scotts. I guess I'm about to find out.

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 02:51 PM

i don't know that raising the bars will make it more stable, just offer a different riding position and room for the damper on the scotts. not sure on the mount setup for the GPR. the scotts has a high speed damping adjustment for big hits and a low speed adjustment for regular rocks, roots, etc. you can feel how the low speed adjustment works when just sitting on the bike and playing with the adjustment. i can't feel the high speed kick in and haven't tried adjusting to feel it but i have hit rocks so hard on the front that my wheel vibrated like a tuning fork(scared the poop out of me).i kept right on a rockin', didn't even change my intended path of travel!

i was actually thinking new lighter / stronger triple clamps + integrated stabilizer would = more stability. i didn't mean that raising the bars would do much in that regard.

having multiple adjustments for low and high speeds makes sense to me, wonder why gpr doesn't offer that?

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 02:52 PM

Some people prefer to have no dampening on the return. I don't know if it's a big deal or not since up to this point I've only ridden with the Scotts. I guess I'm about to find out.

hmm, not sure how i feel about that. do you know why?

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 11, 2010 - 02:57 PM

hmm, not sure how i feel about that. do you know why?

Takes less effort to bring the bars back to center. You don't need dampening on the return. I haven't experienced it myself so I can't comment on the validity. All that said I have a lot of friends who like their GPR's so I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

• djv5

Posted February 11, 2010 - 03:26 PM

I have had a GPR V4 with the submount on my 2007WR for 3 seasons now, and am very happy with it.

The adjustable dampening settings work great, I use 2/3 for single track riding, 4/5 for street and dualsport riding, and 6/7 for supermoto track days.

Posted Image

• drick

Posted February 11, 2010 - 03:53 PM

I have had a GPR V4 with the submount on my 2007WR for 3 seasons now, and am very happy with it.

The adjustable dampening settings work great, I use 2/3 for single track riding, 4/5 for street and dualsport riding, and 6/7 for supermoto track days.

Posted Image

that looks cool, thanks for posting the picture. i'm not sure if the '07s have the computers on them, but if so does the gpr interfere with it at all?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.