Comparisons and Toy Stores

5 replies to this topic
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted April 03, 2001 - 03:06 PM

Hey Guys,

Yes, it's the annonymous Mitch. The man of mystery.. :)

AS you may be aware, I have purchased a YZ250, 2000 model 2-stroke. Pro-circuit head work, suspension and pipe. Dont worry, I still have the 400, but I have bumped it to a 420.

In any case, we went riding this weekend around some tight and wide open trails. On the tighter trails where I was required to "back-it-in", the 2-smoke was alot quicker and less tiring to ride. But, when the trails opened up and I needed power that would hook rather than spin, well, I wish I were on the 420.

Both bikes have their uses. For MX, the 2 smoke by a long way. Sorry guys, I am quicker on it. For trail riding, the 420 by a long way... I guess this would be a similar comparison between the YZF250 and 426.

I can say this for certain, riding the bikes back to back, you can certainly feel the weight difference.

I will send photo's of the toy shop one the race trailer is finished.

Mitch

• Heywood

Posted April 03, 2001 - 03:58 PM

Mitch:

Good to hear your still alive and kickin.

When I first got my WR4, I was coming off of a KX250. After a couple rides on my 400, I could barely ride the KX. Suspension felt clapped out (it was), I blew thru turns because I got used to the engine braking.

I agree about the weight, you can really feel it. Funny thing though, I rode a GP on the KX one year and got very tired, barely hanging on at the end. The next year I rode the WR and I wasn't nearly as tired (I was in similar physical shape for both races).

I am sure a lot of this is due to the fact that the WR had fresher suspension, but I don't think that was all of it. You would expect to be more tired on the heavier bike, but I think it is because it is easier to ride. You shift a lot less and don't have to flail around trying to keep the thing "on the pipe".

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted April 03, 2001 - 04:06 PM

Mitch,
Why did you go to 420 cc? The reason I ask is my bike may have major engine difficulties... :)

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted April 03, 2001 - 05:56 PM

Hey Heywood,

I agree with you. In some cases the 420 is alot easier to ride as it requires less shifting and smoother transition. But, what I have found is squaring off the corners for inside passes is alot easier on the 250.... This thing lofts the wheel in first three gears.. :) Still Lovvvveeee the power of the 420... Cant wait for the 450... :D

Hey Mike:

Went with the 420 when I realised I needed to change my piston and rings.... You say major engine difficulties.. Please explain... Maybe I can offer some advice (unlikely) aswell as some sympathy... :D

Mitch

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted April 03, 2001 - 06:15 PM

Mitchie,
Look at the post "does WR stand for won't run ?". A co-worker of mine went to Austrailia a few weeks ago. He went to Koolangatta (sp?). Said it was wonderful!

Mike

• YZ400Court

Posted April 03, 2001 - 06:38 PM

I have a 420 kit in my 98 YZ. The power is great, the reliability sucks. DON"T DO IT WITHOUT CHANGING TO A 426 ROD. Talk to Stroker about this, or Montclair Yamaha. Both have a lot of YZ experience. I'm currently rebuilding my 400 with 426 rod and piston.

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.