catostrophic 450 failure

9 replies to this topic
  • daletoews

Posted February 09, 2010 - 09:34 PM

hey guys i am new to this site however not new to dirtbikes i picked up a 450f with a toasted motor for 200 bucks. everything else on the bike is good, too tech suspension, fmf pipe 2 sets of plastics. the problem is the piston went through the cylinder followed closely by the rod, so the major parts i need would be a new piston, cylinder, crank and rod assembly, and a new set of cases , bearings , and gaskets, lets not forget the oil pump which caused the failure, im sure after sifting through the debris. so in a nutshell i need a motor so my question is what should i do? piece it back together or try to find a mystery motor on ebay if anyone has a motor running or not i would love to take it off there hands.

• KJ790

Posted February 09, 2010 - 09:37 PM

I would get a complete motor off ebay. There are sellers on ebay that part out brand new bikes, you can pick up a brand new complete motor for around $2000, that would mean you would have $2200 in the bike total. What year bike is it?

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2010 - 07:14 AM

On the other hand....

There's a set of cases on eBay right now with a <$350 bid on it. The cylinder, crank and piston are all parts of a normal major rebuild, anyway. As long as the head's in good shape, you'd have a non-mystery engine with a new crank and a fresh top for about the same money. Pencil it out real quick and think about it.

• sherco67

Posted February 10, 2010 - 02:52 PM

I would part it out, and put the money toward a newer one that is running, with today's economy can get a good deal for 2500-3000 for a 07 around here, GA.

• Numba68

Posted February 10, 2010 - 03:52 PM

I would part it out, and put the money toward a newer one that is running, with today's economy can get a good deal for 2500-3000 for a 07 around here, GA.

The guy is from Manitoba, that same 07 450 would be worth 4-5 grand up here.
I say fix the bike and ither sell, or ride it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • daletoews

Posted February 10, 2010 - 09:20 PM

if there was enough demand for bikes up here in manitoba a guy could make money buying down south and selling them up here. makes one wonder perhaps i should give up my part time walmart greeter job but on the other hand i get 10% off anything in the store

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Dumping that much cash into a unknown is risky. What year???

I would be the similar year 450 and use that one for spares.

• rmcr250r

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:12 AM

I would say rebuild it. once your done you should have a brand new engine. After all is said and done it should come out to be no more than $2000 if you do the work yourself. Buying an engine off ebay is risky.

• Brawg

Posted February 12, 2010 - 04:38 PM

if there was enough demand for bikes up here in manitoba a guy could make money buying down south and selling them up here. makes one wonder perhaps i should give up my part time walmart greeter job but on the other hand i get 10% off anything in the store

reason enough to stay, right?

Welcome to walmart!

• husqy360

Posted March 01, 2010 - 11:36 PM

i love working on my engines(especialy if they starts after), if you do id go for it, sound like lots of work.:ride:

200 bucks is charity.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.