08 wr450 water on starter clutch assy.

2 replies to this topic
  • jlow

Posted February 09, 2010 - 05:45 PM

so i removed my starter clutch cover and starter clutch so i could remove my left side cover to inspect my modified stator job and found water droplets on the starter clutch. my oil is not milky so i do not suspect a water pump problem. i had just cleaned my bike extremely well from riding in some nasty red clay a week before and then ridden in about 5" of snow(which was a blast). my bike was stored in the outdoor shed(30-40 degrees), then brought inside the basement for a brake upgrade. i can't rule out condensation and i haven't found any of the vent lines lose. any ideas or input? thanks jlow

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tinwings

Posted February 13, 2010 - 11:23 PM

Same thing happens with the DRZ 400. It's condensation. That part of the crankcase stays cooler than the rest so that's where the water vapor goes. If it never gets hot enough to cook off the moisture you will always find a little water or oil/water "mousse" in there.

• tribalbc

Posted February 14, 2010 - 03:16 PM

Could be the oring on the starter clutch cover. When I rebuilt my engine I found a little muck that had worked it's way in there so I replaced the oring.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.