Jetting for high compression

3 replies to this topic
  • levy1

Posted May 16, 2003 - 02:28 PM

I want to install a power-bomb header, a power-now valve and a FMF Can. My bike has always been pretty strong. I could never get it to run wide open, as it would bog at ¾ throttle. I never needed much on the throttle side because with a 53-tooth rear sprocket I can climb anything at half throttle. I want to get the jetting “spot-on as Taffy used to say. I have never jetted before, don’t know where the clip is but I can read so I am sure I can find it. I figure to start by taking off the carb. Pretty smart huh! Could someone give me a baseline start? How do I check it along the way? I know everyone is sick of this but if you were me who would you ask? Of course, fellow TTers. I have a high-compression motor and the head has been ported and a little polish. Just a little because I didn’t think it needed to be to shiny inside. Anyhow I am ready to jump in. Thanks, Fred

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 17, 2003 - 04:17 AM

With all those mods and a WR400 I cant help you that much. But since you are not getting many responses here goes:
Be prepared to take the carb in and out 5 - 10 times over a weekend of jetting. Forget taking it to Taffy's level. You need to get your bike in the ball park first. Bog above 3/4 throttle should be a sign of rich jetting. If it stops pulling hard at full throttle you are lean on the main jet. Start with a newly gapped spark plug, 160 main, stock needle in the center clip position. I like to jet by the seat of the pants. Make sure you have run the bike for 5 minutes hard so it is good and hot for your evaulation. You want it to pull hard & climb revs smoothly. I am sure someone with a moded WR400 may have a better start point. But I have seen some ridiculous rich main jets on this forum. Some run as high as 185 mains. I suspect they have YZ timing and can run richer. I can not go higher than 172 main at sea level in 30 to 40 degree weather. Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted May 17, 2003 - 07:41 AM

levy

the jetting on your ported and HC piston bike should be lower than normal by 2 or at most 5 on the MJ. otherwise just treat it the same as all the other WR400's you've seen jetted. my jetting is good for sea level or you can be a little more conservative with something like a 38PJ and EMN needle and a 165 on that open pipe. the rest-copy mine if you want.

if you're above 2-3,000ft then go start following people like hick and whoever.

Taffy

• levy1

Posted May 18, 2003 - 04:31 PM

taffy. It runs real good on the 170 main. should I use your baseline or does the relationship change with the 170?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.