YZ426 Head Plug

5 replies to this topic
  • Gavindobson1

Posted February 09, 2010 - 10:03 AM

Auto decomp mod now complete and runs like a dream, the only thing is when i replaced my decomp mech with a billet head plug i could not get it to lock in. it would not push in far enough for the bolt to secure it in place.

Their is rubber in the rim of the hole on the head stopping the plug fitting, is this a seal for the manual mech lever that must be removed or could this be rubber sealant fitted by previous owner.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2010 - 10:08 AM

It depends on which of the two styles of billet plugs that were made yours is. The original plugs were set up to use the OEM decomp shaft seal, so one simply removed the shaft and inserted the plug, as long as the seal was in good condition.

The second type uses an O-ring on the plug, and in this case, the OEM seal must be removed from the bore in the head.

• buzzgrizz

Posted February 09, 2010 - 10:11 AM

http://www.thumperta...t=776291&page=2

use a freeze plug instead

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gavindobson1

Posted February 09, 2010 - 10:14 AM

It depends on which of the two styles of billet plugs that were made yours is. The original plugs were set up to use the OEM decomp shaft seal, so one simply removed the shaft and inserted the plug, as long as the seal was in good condition.

The second type uses an O-ring on the plug, and in this case, the OEM seal must be removed from the bore in the head.

The billet plug i have has a o-ring on it, is their an easyer way to remove this seal, i'm picking at it but no joy.

Thanks again

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2010 - 10:17 AM

The OEM seals were in a steel shell, and they can be pretty stubborn. Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lever it out.

• Gavindobson1

Posted February 09, 2010 - 10:20 AM

Cool will try that then.

Thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.