Starter Assy Breather

5 replies to this topic
  • transylvania72

Posted February 09, 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hi, I'm newbie, from Romania, and have an american model of WR450F 2009.

My question is: how can I remove the secondary breather hose? (as seen in the attached picture)

Posted Image

in case that it's possible, is there any danger to the engine or any other?
Eventually if you could help me with a pictured how-to guide.

Thanks a lot.

• SXP

Posted February 09, 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hi, I'm newbie, from Romania, and have an american model of WR450F 2009.

My question is: how can I remove the secondary breather hose? (as seen in the attached picture)

Posted Image

in case that it's possible, is there any danger to the engine or any other?
Eventually if you could help me with a pictured how-to guide.

Thanks a lot.

That's the drain hose for the crankcase ventilation system. It's well designed - I'd leave it alone. Earlier models had the hose from the valve cover hanging down by the side of the frame, and under certain conditions this hose can be the source of water ingestion (or worse). The way the hose is routed now, it starts from the valve cover, wraps around to a "Y" fitting on the right side, and branches out to two hoses; one goes to the air box, and the other to the starter assembly. The oil in the mist that's blown out of the valve cover separates out and drains backs into the engine through the hose that attaches to the starter assembly. Once again, I'd leave it alone, simply because it's an elegant, simple solution to the aforementioned problem.

• SAthump

Posted February 09, 2010 - 04:35 PM

Definitely leave it, good design and very functional.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • transylvania72

Posted February 11, 2010 - 10:31 AM

I thought the same, it's just that I wanted to make more space around the carb. Thanks, anyway, greetings from Transylvania (Romania).

• JDLowrance

Posted February 11, 2010 - 10:49 AM

If you are doing alot of water crossings I'd leave it in place. I ride in the So Cal desert so no water here.

I bought an 06-09 YZ crank case breather and the clamps. Once mounted you can get rid of all the additional plumbing wich cleans the area up around the carb nicely. Get some vacuum plugs to cap the starter and airbox and you're done.

John

• zap557

Posted February 12, 2010 - 07:28 PM

If you want reduce the amount of lines and free up some space, you can remove the mess of hoses and like the other person said buy a yz style crank case breather hose and clamps about 14.00 US. I took the one hose from the "Y" assy and used it on the starter breather and connected it back to the airbox. Seems to be working fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.