'00 YZ426 exhaust cam (chain stretch)

7 replies to this topic
  • jeffen31

Posted February 09, 2010 - 05:12 AM

Putting the bike back together after some new valve shims, it appears I have a bit of stretch in the timing chain.

The punch mark on the 'I' side of the intake cam aligns perfectly with the top of the cylinder, but i have a choice of half a tooth above or below the cylinder for the punch mark on the 'E' side of the exhaust cam. (All valve train components are stock)

Would one be preferred over the other (slightly advance or retard the exhaust cam)?

I've done a search, but haven't found the specific answer. Much thanks!

• bendover932

Posted February 09, 2010 - 05:35 AM

If it's not a new chain and you feel that it's stretched(definately if it's the original) why not just replace it with a new one...And a tensioner ....alot cheaper than the repairs from a chain failure...But that's Just my opinion

• jeffen31

Posted February 09, 2010 - 07:02 AM

You're definitely right, but i was hoping to ride this weekend, which is why i'm pushing to get it back together with the parts i have.

• bendover932

Posted February 09, 2010 - 09:25 AM

i hear ya on wanting to ride...we got 2' of snow last weekend....and another 12-18" coming....maybe someone else can chime in with a suggestion on which way to go..good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted February 09, 2010 - 11:25 AM

replace the chain and tensioner or this weekend will be the last weekend you will ride it. $50 in parts is not worth toastin the motor and personally i would rather wait a week than blow mine up.

• tech24

Posted February 09, 2010 - 11:53 AM

is this with tensioner installed? If not much just be slack, put E cam on the mark and I cam slightly above and install tensioner, rotate engine 2 revolutions and recheck.

• jeffen31

Posted February 09, 2010 - 01:16 PM

Yes, this was with tensioner installed and rotated multiple times, thanks for the advice. It's back together with I cam on the mark and E cam just slightly retarded (half a tooth).

I'll let everyone know if i run into problems. Check, on the fact i need a new one....

• tech24

Posted February 09, 2010 - 01:39 PM

Yes, this was with tensioner installed and rotated multiple times, thanks for the advice. It's back together with I cam on the mark and E cam just slightly retarded (half a tooth).

I'll let everyone know if i run into problems. Check, on the fact i need a new one....

well damn good luck!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.