Problem-need some help

4 replies to this topic
  • bphawk48

Posted February 08, 2010 - 03:19 PM

I have an 01 WR426. Been runinng awesome. Have been checking the oil/coolant before every ride. Road over to my buddys house and right as I got there it started steaming and overheated(Twice actually, after put water in it). I don't see it leaking coolant anywhere? I figured with it dumping that much I would see it? Any thoughts on this? Thanks

• Rocker01

Posted February 12, 2010 - 08:59 PM

I'm no bike mechanic but it sounds like you are running really lean.
Usually overheating is caused by lean mixuture or too slow of riding....it doesn't sound like you were riding slow technical stuff though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2010 - 11:24 PM

Be sure there's no leak from the water pump while it's running. The bike holds about a quart of coolant, so it doesn't take a very big leak to drop the level a lot.

If there's no external signs, it probably a head gasket.

• Birdy426

Posted February 13, 2010 - 11:15 AM

Do you still have the catch tank installed? Is it filling the tank and pumping out the overflow, or boiling off as steam out the overflow?

• bphawk48

Posted February 15, 2010 - 09:16 AM

Fixed it! Thanks for all the help. The previous owner had swithed rad caps and removed the coolant overflow. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.