2010 YZ 450 setup

30 replies to this topic
  • honda907

Posted February 19, 2010 - 02:57 PM

We added to the rear sprocket because MXA said to, and we're all sheep. Baaah. :lol: Don't confuse top end hit to top speed. I still use my 09 spare rear wheel and I liked the 49t. I've got 2 races on mine now and I like the instant throttle response.:ride:

For as much as I will be spending on my 2010 Yamaha, I hope the transmission isn't a problem. Mine will be here sometime next month. I don't plan on getting a pipe for a 7100 dollar bike!!!! My wife never says anything until this year when she heard Ron say "Retail of 8K"!! I got the look!! That's more than we paid for her leftover CBR600RR last year!! She said "How much will it be worth next year?" I said "About 3K just like this year." She said no pipe after that.:ride:

Hey Doug, BTW does yours start now that you have some time on it? I had the same problem on my 09 last year, but after a couple of hours , the problem disappeared.

• MX4Life

Posted February 19, 2010 - 05:46 PM

Yo Greg, Starting is much better then that 1st weekend of hell. Normally starts 2nd or 3rd kick, after the kick through priming ritual. I've yet to stall it in a race, I'm dreading that. Last race at ECMX I passed a fellow 2010 YZ rider that had stalled his on the last lap. He normally kicks my ass, but his mistake allowed me beat him in the overall. :ride: Are you riding this weekend, I'm thinking about VMP.

• honda907

Posted February 22, 2010 - 11:04 AM

Yo Greg, Starting is much better then that 1st weekend of hell. Normally starts 2nd or 3rd kick, after the kick through priming ritual. I've yet to stall it in a race, I'm dreading that. Last race at ECMX I passed a fellow 2010 YZ rider that had stalled his on the last lap. He normally kicks my ass, but his mistake allowed me beat him in the overall. :ride: Are you riding this weekend, I'm thinking about VMP.

I know it's late, but Dman and I went to Indy all day Saturday. Man, we had good seats and we had a blast. RV crashed right in front of us with his bike leaking fluid all over the place. If I was one guy over, I would have had a tee shirt with two St. Louis tickets in it. Josh hill gave the stuff out. The race live unfolds differently than on TV for sure.

Yep, we had a blast. Much better than the outdoor stuff.

• hadameo

Posted February 23, 2010 - 07:28 AM

My 09 came with a 120 rear tire and it robbed power so instead of gearing this beast i went to a 110 and it made a big difference and went to a 90 up front and liked it also!

• craymond

Posted February 23, 2010 - 08:47 AM

I've had my '10 450F for a few months now and these posts are great input and have help me quite a bit with dialing in the setup. Thanks guys!

I do have a question since there is some discussion on starting & stalling the bike. This is my first FI bike and I seem to stall it more easily than with my previous bike. Are there any suggestions for helping to lessen the liklihood of stalling?

- FI settings?
- Gearing?
- Riding technique?

Thanks again!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2010 - 08:56 AM

Set the idle a little higher. Also, the bike as delivered is geared just a bit high. Consider adding a tooth or two at the rear.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 23, 2010 - 11:06 AM

Set the idle a little higher. Also, the bike as delivered is geared just a bit high. Consider adding a tooth or two at the rear.

wouldnt it be cheaper to get a front sprocket? instead of a rear. Or would the ratio of one tooth smaller on the front sprocket be to much of a decrese compared to the rear?

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2010 - 11:54 AM

It would be cheaper, but since the existing ratio is 3.69:1, changing down a tooth in front is equal to adding 3.7 teeth to the rear.

Plus, a 12 is really impractically small. It will increase chain slap, wear to the top and lower front of the slider, and will wear faster itself.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 23, 2010 - 12:08 PM

I see!.....I didnt know it would be that much of a decrease. Shoot!!! almost four extra teeth would be a great deal of difference. Guess I better be ordering a larger sprocket for the rear.

• norcal_hoss

Posted February 23, 2010 - 04:50 PM

I see!.....I didnt know it would be that much of a decrease. Shoot!!! almost four extra teeth would be a great deal of difference. Guess I better be ordering a larger sprocket for the rear.

If you have not ordered a sprocket these are great for the money. $19 bucks and they are steel. Ya a bit heavier but ive never noticed it. 450's have more than enough power to run steel sprockets and xring chains.
here is a link I bought a 49 and 50 gonna see what I like.
http://www.rockymoun...2#vehicleSelect

• Joe105

Posted February 24, 2010 - 05:52 AM

I've been visiting this forum just watching, processing, and taking mental notes. I will most likely be making another bike purchase this year and unless the 250f comes out and is mind blowing I'll be getting a 450. Ive been riding yz250f's since 04, I feel its time for something different and a new learning experience. Cant wait to join the club, specially a fuel injected one :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.