2010 YZ 450 setup

30 replies to this topic
  • Pat E

Posted February 08, 2010 - 12:39 PM

I know there aren't many of these out yet, but I have one on order and was wondering if anyone has any early set up tips. I have heard the bike could benefit from a steeper offset (20mm?) and also a tooth or two on the rear sprocket. Also, has anyone ever tried DrD.'s radiator lowering kit? Any tangible benefit to speak of? Any updates/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• rjcook450

Posted February 08, 2010 - 01:26 PM

The latest motocross mag. they ride Dr. D's 2010 yz450F, and he is running what you just asked about. drd pipe, steeper offset, rad. lowering, and more teeth on rear sprocket. you should check out article if you already havent done so.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2010 - 01:35 PM

Triple clamp offset, just to be clear on this, does not and cannot make anything "steeper". Altering the clamp offset, in and of itself does not alter the steering head angle (sometimes called "rake"), but rather, changes the "trail" of the front end.

Trail is the distance between the points where a vertical line dropped from the axle and a line drawn through the steering head meet the ground.

http://www.thumperta...597#post3945597

• rjcook450

Posted February 08, 2010 - 01:39 PM

sorry bad choice of word to describe

• sbyz450

Posted February 08, 2010 - 06:32 PM

I put a drd pipe on, added one tooth on the rear. The power is great down low/mid, but falls off on top. Today I went w/ #7 map (broader power band), which helped a little. This bike is great on smaller style mx tracks, however on big open tracks I was really bummed on not having any top end. I'm coming off an 07 cr450 which had a lot more top end. Be prepared to do alot of short shifting. I guess this is just a heads up on what you ordered, and of course just my opinion.

• racerxx276

Posted February 08, 2010 - 07:24 PM

Please just ride it stock for a while...I've had my 2 months now , still riding it stock...its sooo much fun to ride. I've found that most , not all, of the folks advocating changing it ,
DON'T OWN ONE! At some point I'll put a Dr D on and go up on the rear sprocket, thats it! Good Luck!

• eazrider

Posted February 09, 2010 - 02:55 PM

Please just ride it stock for a while...I've had my 2 months now , still riding it stock...its sooo much fun to ride. I've found that most , not all, of the folks advocating changing it ,
DON'T OWN ONE! At some point I'll put a Dr D on and go up on the rear sprocket, thats it! Good Luck!

I've got a few hours on mine, and run as fast as it will go wthout hitting the rev limiter in 4th in some of the sand washes, finally snicking 5th, and don't find it drops off in power on top any more than my '06, plus it pulls a lot harder in the low/mid area...Lots more fun than I thought possible, as I really was happy with the power of my'06, and got the '10 for the handling.....personally, I like the motor bottom mid much more than my '06, except for that nagging lurch from on/off throttle in the rocks. I don't notice that at all on a moto-x track where one is normally on the gas...might explain why none of the mags really call it out in their tests, as it really is annoying hopping around in the rocks, but barely a factor on a track..!

• MX4Life

Posted February 09, 2010 - 04:56 PM

I broke mine in around the house stock. I then put on a Geomax on the front, Dr.D pipe, 49 tooth rear and MXA suspension setting and raced it the next weekend. I agree, no top end hit. I liked everything about it except it seems to standup in the rutted corners. I've since put on the Dr.D rad lowering kit. No chance to ride with all the snow we've been getting. Next weekend I'm racing a sand track in N.C.with long straightaways. I'll find out if the limited top end is a problem. I haven't used my power tuner since I like the bottom end snap. I hope this helps.:ride:

• craymond

Posted February 10, 2010 - 05:38 PM

I broke mine in around the house stock. I then put on a Geomax on the front, Dr.D pipe, 49 tooth rear and MXA suspension setting and raced it the next weekend. I agree, no top end hit. I liked everything about it except it seems to standup in the rutted corners. I've since put on the Dr.D rad lowering kit. No chance to ride with all the snow we've been getting. Next weekend I'm racing a sand track in N.C.with long straightaways. I'll find out if the limited top end is a problem. I haven't used my power tuner since I like the bottom end snap. I hope this helps.:ride:

MX4Life,

I have a new 2010 450 and I was wondering about the MXA suspension setup you mentioned. can you give me some insight into that setup? Is the information available online?

thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2010 - 06:55 PM

MX4Life,

I have a new 2010 450 and I was wondering about the MXA suspension setup you mentioned. can you give me some insight into that setup? Is the information available online?

thanks!

Try searching this forum.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aedwards07

Posted February 10, 2010 - 07:29 PM

I tried the 20mm applied clamps and wasnt a fan of them.Reminded me too much of the 09 crf450 with the 20mm clamps.

• Joe105

Posted February 11, 2010 - 07:22 AM

Just curious why some of you are adding teeth yet want more top end?

• aedwards07

Posted February 11, 2010 - 09:36 PM

Because the 2nd to 3rd gear gap is large.Its like 2nd isnt enough and 3rd bogs too much.So add a tooth or 2 to the rear makes 3rd more useable.

• Joe105

Posted February 11, 2010 - 09:54 PM

Oh ok, thanks, just wonderin

• hadameo

Posted February 13, 2010 - 05:52 PM

I do not own a new 10 yami yet; but when i do i will program it first before i change any gearing etc!JUST MY 2 CENTS

• woodster

Posted February 18, 2010 - 09:29 PM

has anybody tried to alter the fueling and ignition to try and overcome that "falling off" the power feeling from the wide gap between 2nd and 3rd?? and the supposedly lack of top end that some complain of ??

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2010 - 09:37 PM

has anybody tried to alter the fueling and ignition to try and overcome that "falling off" the power feeling from the wide gap between 2nd and 3rd??

Is the manual misprinted or something? The internal trans ratios are listed as identical to the '06-'09 trans, and very few people have ever said the 2-3 gap was particularly big on those.

The bike is geared a notch higher overall than the '09, maybe that's the reason.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 19, 2010 - 09:06 AM

Is the manual misprinted or something? The internal trans ratios are listed as identical to the '06-'09 trans, and very few people have ever said the 2-3 gap was particularly big on those.

The bike is geared a notch higher overall than the '09, maybe that's the reason.

yea theres no gap on my 06..

• APlusAutoParts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 11:24 AM

wow all this interesting talk about this bike. I have had mine about 3 weeks now i cant wait to try it and put in my two cents

• MX4Life

Posted February 19, 2010 - 01:54 PM

We added to the rear sprocket because MXA said to, and we're all sheep. Baaah. :ride: Don't confuse top end hit to top speed. I still use my 09 spare rear wheel and I liked the 49t. I've got 2 races on mine now and I like the instant throttle response.:ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.