125 2 stroke or 250 4 stroke for beginning rider?

11 replies to this topic
  • 2wheelin2dn

Posted February 08, 2010 - 11:55 AM

I'm just trying to get a feel for what type of bike I should be looking at...

I've ridden on the street for about 7 years now, and have had a little off-road experience throughout, but nothing much more than putting around on a ttr90 and repeatedly falling down on a wr450 that i got a good deal on, but was WAY too much for me on the trails.

The WR was stolen from me, and I've been wanting to get back into trail riding and racing for a few months.

I've never raced, but want to give hare scrambles, hare and hounds, and enduros a try.

Should i look for a two stroke 125 or a four stroke 250?

Or should i buck up and go back to a 450 4 stroke or 250 2 stroke and see if i can't master the beast?

Thanks!

Edited by 2wheelin2dn, February 08, 2010 - 07:35 PM.

• MrBlah

Posted February 08, 2010 - 12:04 PM

I think a 125 2t is harder than a 250 2t in the woods, especially east coast woods, a flywheel weight will help both greatly

• mxkid1

Posted February 08, 2010 - 12:19 PM

I don't know where you ride, but if you ride in Western US of A, then I would go with a 2t 125. I just sold my 250 4t because of all the maintenance needed on them (that's for me, I know for some it isn't a problem at all), and I'm looking to get a 125 2t. For open riding, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference because your riding flat out most of the time. Two strokes don't take as much maintenance as a four-stroke and I like that better, as far as performance, they're both good, but they are extremely different, so I don't think comparisons can be made easily. Overall, go with a 125 2t is my opinion cause of the low maintenance costs, and 125's are just as good as 250 4t's. Also, a 250 4t is gonna be a lot more expensive when your looking to buy one.

• MaverickMX

Posted February 08, 2010 - 12:24 PM

See my forum post..

Thinking of buying a 4T to go along with my 2T, but WOW.. ( 1 2 )

• john01

Posted February 08, 2010 - 01:49 PM

Keep it simple, light weight, easy maintenance, lower operating cost, and lower buy in...IMO that is a 125 2-stroke. I ride both and my 08 Husky CR125 2-stroke is the easiest funnest bike I have ever ridden in the woods and at 51 now I am no spring chicken. The bike will crawl, flat out fly, and anything in between.

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted February 08, 2010 - 02:04 PM

If your seriously wanting to race, look into a newer used KTM 200XC or XC-W. Even used, they aren't cheap, but are great race bikes for about any level, except for maybe AA or Pro.
If your wanting to trail ride and thinking about racing a little, look around for a good deal on a KDX200 or 220. They're cheap, cheap to own and ride, make great trail bikes, and not half bad C class enduro bikes.
125 MXers can be made into good woods bikes, but unless your really a feather weight, not great woods bikes. 250 2T is about as big a handful in the woods as a 450. And all MX bike suspensions are a compromise in the woods. If your fast and aggressive they will work in stock trim, otherwise, they can be a real confidense killer. But they can be fixed with some $$ and reworking.
I've had a couple of 4 strokes, didn't like much of anything about either of them, so won't comment on the 250F.
My .02 :ride:

• 2wheelin2dn

Posted February 09, 2010 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for all the responses!

I was definitely looking at a KDX200, and I think I'm leaning that way even harder now.

Any other opinions?

• Nighthawk016

Posted February 09, 2010 - 11:56 AM

well, theres many, theres the XR250 the XR400 the KDX200 and even an MX can be a trail bike with a little work.

It all depends on how you ride, I'd say find some people you know, or who live close to you, who will let you test ride a bike

Just dont get a 125, you have to rev the piss outta them to get good power,

• factory_yami250f

Posted February 09, 2010 - 03:49 PM

get the 4t

• 2wheelin2dn

Posted February 10, 2010 - 08:32 AM

how about a KTM 200EXC? I know there's some gearbox differences between the xc and exc, I'm just not sure what they are exactly.

I'm looking at an EXC that's priced right I do believe...

• jjablon8

Posted February 10, 2010 - 09:32 AM

Going with a KTM or Husky is always a good decision if you want to ride trails and woods. Theyre both really quality bikes.

As for a 125...you could have a lot of fun on the ole chainsaw. Theyre not overly powerful and though you may need to beat the piss out of it to get the desired power theyre really easy to throw around and will teach you to respect that 2t power band hit.

I learned to ride on a 2t and would recommend it to any beginner rider.

• factory_yami250f

Posted February 11, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Going with a KTM or Husky is always a good decision if you want to ride trails and woods. Theyre both really quality bikes.

As for a 125...you could have a lot of fun on the ole chainsaw. Theyre not overly powerful and though you may need to beat the piss out of it to get the desired power theyre really easy to throw around and will teach you to respect that 2t power band hit.

I learned to ride on a 2t and would recommend it to any beginner rider.

i truly think fr someone who wants to learn how to ride fast shld learn on a 125 cause u need to really ride it to get any power out of it

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.