2009 wr-F speedo removal questions

6 replies to this topic
  • pdivizzle0112

Posted February 08, 2010 - 01:00 AM

hey everyone, i have a 2009 wr250f and im trying to lighten it up. one of the things im thinking about doing is removing the speedometer, bracket, and main on/off switch directly to the right of the speedo. im also planning on putting a yz-F triple clamp on and putting on a number plate.

Im wondering, has anyone done this before? ive seen the wheel spacers by flatland racing to remove the mechanical speedo sensor, but how would i go about removing the on/off switch so i can just hit the start button and go? any help would be greatly appreciated. i know its probably a matter of crossing some wires, but again, any input would help. thanks!

btw, this bike will mostly be used for off-road racing, so i wanted the wr for that reason

• pdivizzle0112

Posted February 08, 2010 - 12:15 PM

Anybody?

• tribalbc

Posted February 08, 2010 - 05:57 PM

Take a look at this thread

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=858404

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted February 08, 2010 - 06:05 PM

I don't think you can bypass the on/off switch. This switch powers up the ignition by engaging the battery. If you cross the wires you'll drain your battery in short order and the electric start will not work.

I'd recommend relocating the switch to the number plate bolt or something similar.

I'm going to be doing this as well here shortly and that's my plan.

John

• Butta

Posted February 08, 2010 - 07:06 PM

Do what was so popular with the XR's, just gut the headlight of all it's heavy parts so all you have is the plastic shell. That way you can keep the on/off button where it is and not have a big issue but still lose the weight of the lights.

• pdivizzle0112

Posted February 08, 2010 - 08:34 PM

Do what was so popular with the XR's, just gut the headlight of all it's heavy parts so all you have is the plastic shell. That way you can keep the on/off button where it is and not have a big issue but still lose the weight of the lights.

I was first thinking about doing this, and a lot of guys that race off road do it, but i decided to go with a cycra number plate with the screen instead. just personal preference, it still weighs a bit lighter than the factory headlight shroud, i like the bars to be as light as possible when racing:thumbsup:

thanks for the suggestion

• pdivizzle0112

Posted February 08, 2010 - 11:16 PM

Take a look at this thread

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=858404

Thank you so much! that article has all the answers i was looking for! i just ordered all my parts hehe :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.