2010 450 MXA suspension settings!

57 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted February 28, 2010 - 04:15 PM

F/C also advised me to set my fork height at 4 mm measured from the top of the fork tube (not the top of the threaded cap) to the top of the upper clamp.

That is where I think i will run mine. I rode mine today and thought it didnt turn to easy around turns.

Went to the track today and my 2010 was like a whole new bike!......

i moved the tubes in the clamps to 3mm up and set the forks and suspension up by MXA settings and ran 100mm race sag with 32 static and it was so smooth on the track. Some how by setting the clickers more stiff made the bike feel softer. I would have never of thought that.

I was only 5 clicks out on compression on the forks and 7 out on rebound.

shock high speed damping was set only 1 turn out
low speed was 4 out and rebound was 8 out.

The bike turned so well and it kept the front tire right in the ruts and I railed the burms.

The only problem i had or issue with the forks were, on this one jump(triple jump) that is 90ft,...when i hit this jump the same way as i did last sunday and was clearing it good.......... is that the front end didnt seem to come up some after I left the lip (or face) of the jump.

In other words ......when i hit this jump the bike stayed flat and kida low in the front and didnt raise up any in the front and that caught me off guard and I panic reved to pic the front end up but it didnt come up any and when I landed at the end I was in the sitting position and was dreading the landing and was braceing myself but to my suprise when i landed it felt as if I never jumped.

Guess it was cause of the stiff settings on the shock and forks. I did turn the clickers on the compression on the forks 4 more out for a total of 9 out and that seemed to help the forks compress in some more on the face of this jump.

I highly reccomend the MXA settings cause they do work and like someone here said. "Gave the bike that magical feel"

Edited by CaptainKnobby, March 07, 2010 - 04:28 PM.

• Frank Swindell

Posted March 01, 2010 - 02:30 PM

Just picked up my 2010 YZ450, looking for a spring rate chart, I weight without gear 245-250lbs, any suggestions on after market springs,

Thanks

• Skotten

Posted March 08, 2010 - 08:14 AM

How many hours di you put on the bike before adjusting the clickers??

• Thumper38

Posted March 08, 2010 - 08:25 AM

Just picked up my 2010 YZ450, looking for a spring rate chart, I weight without gear 245-250lbs, any suggestions on after market springs,

Thanks

I am 220 without gear and I went with .50 in the front and 6.1 in the rear, I am able to get 100mm of race sag and 30mm of free sag. The front end seemed alittle harsh but the rear was real nice. I am going to get it valved this week to see how good i can get it. I used the MXA settings or close to and it did make a huge difference.

• Skotten

Posted March 08, 2010 - 11:05 AM

Just an irrelevant comment, my old 1983 CR soaked up every bump thrown at it like it wasn´t there..

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2010 - 11:40 AM

Just an irrelevant comment, my old 1983 CR soaked up every bump thrown at it like it wasn´t there..

Or at least, that's how you remember it... :banana:

• honda907

Posted March 08, 2010 - 03:55 PM

Got home from 3 days at NCMP in North Carolina last night and my wife picked up my new 2010 Yamaha's on Saturday. Captainknobbie, do you ride there? Where did you try your settings at? It seems that many people agree that the MXA setting are good. I'm 195, so the settings MXA used should work OK for me also?

Edited by honda907, March 08, 2010 - 04:56 PM.

• BBrown626

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:33 PM

After a few rides I finally touched my clickers this past weekend. I set them to the MXA settings. I weight 210 and ride MX. Saturday I was at a big jumpy track (Pala). I rode one session with stock settings and I bottomed a few times on some of the jumps. After the MXA settings I didn't bottom once. The difference was quite noticeable. I was sure I'd need new springs for my weight, but I don't know if I'll change them now. The ride is pretty good. If I have any complaints it would be the front is too stiff now. It doesn't seem to settle into the corners as well.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:08 PM

Got home from 3 days at NCMP in North Carolina last night and my wife picked up my new 2010 Yamaha's on Saturday. Captainknobbie, do you ride there? Where did you try your settings at? It seems that many people agree that the MXA setting are good. I'm 195, so the settings MXA used should work OK for me also?

I ride at CRMX in Elkin,NC. Fun track and well groomed. I'm sure the MXA settings will work for you. Just dont be afraid to tighten tose clickers down:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scrubba

Posted March 08, 2010 - 11:41 PM

ok! mxa settings, great!

now... which settings are you guys running? the ones I posted, or, the other set of mxa settings?

I have not tried the other ones yet.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 09, 2010 - 08:26 AM

Famous quote from reminiscing back to the 80's "The older we get the faster we were"

The '83 CR Showa forks did a great job of handling front bumps.

But, not as good as the first generation RM "Full Floaters" handled rear bumps ! :banana:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 09, 2010 - 10:34 AM

ok! mxa settings, great!

now... which settings are you guys running? the ones I posted, or, the other set of mxa settings?

I have not tried the other ones yet.

I done the ones you posted

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 09, 2010 - 10:36 AM

for all you guys out there basing your settings on the stock setup, try the MXA settings, even if clickers only.

I just did that and it made a world of difference! You'd think just by looking at their settings, it would be way too stiff, but the bike balanced and handles
flawlessly. (I went two clicks softer on their compression settings.)

Thanks, MXA, i will never doubt you again!

I thought they did too. I dont think the other one would be as good as the one you posted but on the fork compression the second set of mxa settings may be a little better to keep the front end up better when exiting off the face of some jumps instead of dropping the front when exiting the face of a jump at higher speeds.

• Davey762

Posted April 09, 2010 - 06:43 AM

Anyone know where I can buy a shock spring? Also, find a spring chart? I want to see the target weight for specific springs. Thanks

• Davey762

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:03 AM

I am running the 5.3 rear spring too (82kg rider) it has mad a night and day difference to overall handling , balance, traction everything is improved.

shock.
spring rate 5.3
sag 105mm
oil 3wt
comp (low speed) 10 out
comp (high speed) 0
rebound 12 out

Has revised shim stacks/valving.

Weird, running the same spring as a 150lb rider and you weight 180lbs? Havent measured my free sag yet to determain if the stock spring is good for me. I would estimate my weight at 178-180 lbs with gear on so I'm hoping the stock spring would do me fine.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:31 AM

Weird, running the same spring as a 150lb rider and you weight 180lbs? Havent measured my free sag yet to determain if the stock spring is good for me. I would estimate my weight at 178-180 lbs with gear on so I'm hoping the stock spring would do me fine.

It should!.......I'm at 196lbs with all my gear on and the stock rear spring and forks seem to be fine for me luckly. I'm at 102mm race sag and have a 38mm static sag.

• Davey762

Posted April 09, 2010 - 07:59 AM

It should!.......I'm at 196lbs with all my gear on and the stock rear spring and forks seem to be fine for me luckly. I'm at 102mm race sag and have a 38mm static sag.

Perfect, thanks. I'll check mine out tonight and see.

Just wondering why a rider weighing in at 180lbs changed the spring and went down to a 5.3 kg that matches up for a 150lb rider? Guess its his preference but seems weird. Rider ability maybe?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 09, 2010 - 08:02 AM

Perfect, thanks. I'll check mine out tonight and see.

Just wondering why a rider weighing in at 180lbs changed the spring and went down to a 5.3 kg that matches up for a 150lb rider? Guess its his preference but seems weird. Rider ability maybe?

:thumbsup: me either. I guess he likes it to squat a little more in turns or a softer feel.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.