2010 450 MXA suspension settings!

57 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 15, 2010 - 04:58 PM

This thread is about the 2010 yz450f, and balancing it out to feel how great it really is.

All this thread asks is "did you try the MXA settings, and how did you like it?"

Yes, I remember that from the first post. But Polar_Bus has a point, and you know it, or you should. That doesn't mean that your original question is invalid, only that PB's point isn't, either.

Meanwhile:

http://motoman393.th...suspension.html

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 16, 2010 - 06:18 PM

you wearing lead lined protective gear?

No......I weighed myself with just wearing my boxers and socks on and then put my EVS mx socks on and them my CTI knee braces then my O'neal pants,kidney belt,O'neal clutch boots,jersey,EVS chest protector,gloves,helmet and Leatt brace. I didnt put goggles on and this totaled 23lbs more than what I weighed without it.

If you have all this gear then you weigh yourself with just wearing underwear and socks and then put all this gear on and see what the difference is. You will probaly be surprised what the difference is.

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2010 - 07:25 PM

Ever put your gear bag on a scale? If you're like me, you wear most of what's in there all at once.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 17, 2010 - 07:24 AM

Ever put your gear bag on a scale? If you're like me, you wear most of what's in there all at once.

I thought about it but I would have had to empty my gear bag anyway to see how much it weighed so that I would know the actual weight of my gear. Plus I got new gear and wanted to try it on anyway.:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2010 - 09:58 AM

Wasn't talking to you. :ride:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 17, 2010 - 01:02 PM

You didnt say who u were talking to .......BUT.......you replied under me and i was the only one talking about wearing my gear and weighing .......so it only could have been me!

But who cares......I got ya!

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2010 - 02:38 PM

You didnt say who u were talking to .......BUT.......you replied under me and i was the only one talking about wearing my gear and weighing .......so it only could have been me!

Really? You forgot this one so soon?

you wearing lead lined protective gear?

But who cares......I got ya!

Uh, no, you didn't.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 17, 2010 - 07:19 PM

Well I guess I'll try another time:smirk:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 26, 2010 - 09:54 AM

Adding oil is the key for the standard forks.. I originally raised the oil height by 10mm, as the fork would blow through on any decent hit. The fork has 10% more low speed than the 09 450, but still lacks substance towards the end of the stroke which can be band aided with more oil, but the more oil you put int the less plush it becomes in the mid stroke. I have had the mid valve modified to stop the fork blowing through, which gives the fork a more progressive feel with 350 cm3 of oil.The spring rate is spot oin for 190lb weight.

fork Settings
Comp 9
rebound 11

As for the shock the stock valving is good. It is very plush and maybe a just tad soft.
The std 5.7 spring is boarderline for my weight. 85kg without gear 91kg with gear
I run 102mm race sag with 25mm static sag, i may have to go one rate stiffer according to my tuner as he would like to see a little more static(around 30-35mm)

Shocksettings
comp LS 5
Hs 1 turn
R 11

I measured my race sag just awhile ago and with the bike just as it is (stock) like it came off the show room floor no adjustments to the spring, my race sag was 102mm (me in a sitting position).
The static sag was 38mm.........so I guess this would be the set up for my weight (which is 174lbs in just underwear) and 197lbs in gear.

Although the bike has not been ridden yet and I guess it needs some stress put on the springs first and then set sag. Hope to ride it soon (awfull cold and windy now) expecting snow for tonight

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 26, 2010 - 12:04 PM

I just sent my suspension out to Factory Connection, and they instructed me to set my sag at a whopping 108 mm. I always thought around 100 mm was the norm..

but a only weigh a scrawny 165 lbs all geared up, so maybe that's got something to do with the big sag dimension....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted February 26, 2010 - 12:44 PM

I guess I will just have to ride it like it is and go from there to see how it performs with my weight and riding style and skill.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 26, 2010 - 07:19 PM

BTW You guy's with the 2010 450, How far are you all running the fork tubes up in the triple clamp?

Are yall leaving it at zero or 5mm up in the clamp?

• BBrown626

Posted February 26, 2010 - 08:54 PM

My forks were set at zero and I haven't touched clickers or sag yet. I am pretty happy with it. I am going to put a little more time on it before tweaking it at all.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 27, 2010 - 04:48 AM

I guess I will do the same til I get some time on it. Just hope the weather holds out long enough so the track will be open cause I cant wait to ride it tomorrow.

• Scrubba

Posted February 27, 2010 - 09:41 AM

BTW You guy's with the 2010 450, How far are you all running the fork tubes up in the triple clamp?

need clarification on this.

does zero mean the top of the fork tube flush with the top of the triple clamp? or the top of the fork cap flush with the clamp?

does the tube include the cap?:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2010 - 09:59 AM

Top of the tube.

• racerxx276

Posted February 27, 2010 - 09:18 PM

Its interesting that this is the first bike that I've had in 20 years that I haven't moved the forks up or down..

It really is so much fun to ride!

• Scrubba

Posted February 27, 2010 - 10:10 PM

Top of the tube.

thanks for finally clearing that up for me, Grey.

Its interesting that this is the first bike that I've had in 20 years that I haven't moved the forks up or down..

It really is so much fun to ride!

when you start beaking the bike in and testing it out, it seems like the set up is perfect. but then when you start to hone your speed, you will find you need more fine tuning of the adjustments.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 28, 2010 - 05:32 AM

Maybe I'll get a good break in run on it today. The track is open and the temps will be in the upper 40's.

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:57 AM

F/C also advised me to set my fork height at 4 mm measured from the top of the fork tube (not the top of the threaded cap) to the top of the upper clamp.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.