2010 450 MXA suspension settings!

57 replies to this topic
  • Scrubba

Posted February 06, 2010 - 11:31 PM

for all you guys out there basing your settings on the stock setup, try the MXA settings, even if clickers only.

I just did that and it made a world of difference! You'd think just by looking at their settings, it would be way too stiff, but the bike balanced and handles
flawlessly. (I went two clicks softer on their compression settings.)

Thanks, MXA, i will never doubt you again!

• Mike546

Posted February 07, 2010 - 11:07 AM

Can you post them please, I gave my copy away.

• Scrubba

Posted February 07, 2010 - 01:12 PM

Can you post them please, I gave my copy away.

ok, *cringe* i knew you was gonna ask that, here goes:

forks:

c-5 (13 stock)
r-7(10)

shock

lc-4(8)
r-8(14)
hc-1(1 1/4)
sag-100

quite a ways off from the normal baseline. i went two softer on the compression f/r.

These settings brought that "magical" feel to the bike. Try it and tell me how it felt to you!

• Mike546

Posted February 07, 2010 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Scrubba, it wont be for a few weeks but I'll give it a go.

• sherco67

Posted February 07, 2010 - 02:56 PM

What is your weight? I am about 150 with gear and already installed a 5.3 rear spring just to get sag numbers close, I found a diffferent set of numbers from MXA, have set them to those to try it out if it ever dries up around here.
Fork comp. 10 out (13)
rebound 9 out (10)
Shock Hi Comp. 1 1/2 out (1 1/4)
Lo Comp. 7 out (8)
rebound 11 out (14)
(is stock)
let me know thanks

• BBrown626

Posted February 07, 2010 - 03:46 PM

Didn't MXA say the orange bike was the one to buy?

• motojase316

Posted February 07, 2010 - 04:55 PM

What is your weight? I am about 150 with gear and already installed a 5.3 rear spring just to get sag numbers close, I found a diffferent set of numbers from MXA, have set them to those to try it out if it ever dries up around here.
Fork comp. 10 out (13)
rebound 9 out (10)
Shock Hi Comp. 1 1/2 out (1 1/4)
Lo Comp. 7 out (8)
rebound 11 out (14)
(is stock)
let me know thanks

I am running the 5.3 rear spring too (82kg rider) it has mad a night and day difference to overall handling , balance, traction everything is improved.

shock.
spring rate 5.3
sag 105mm
oil 3wt
comp (low speed) 10 out
comp (high speed) 0
rebound 12 out

Has revised shim stacks/valving.

• sherco67

Posted February 07, 2010 - 05:08 PM

will try some of these if it ever dries out, or sells, trying to get rid of some debt, 2010 yz450f in classified ads, also have 09 v-max and 08 v-rod.

Edited by sherco67, February 07, 2010 - 06:00 PM.
typo

• aedwards07

Posted February 07, 2010 - 06:27 PM

MXA also says to add 5cc of fork oil to each leg.

Ive been running the MXA settings now with good luck.

• racerxx276

Posted February 07, 2010 - 07:19 PM

I've tried the MXA settings, I too went a bit softer on the forks than they recommend.
What I have a hard time with is their 100mm of sag. I'm 185 lb in gear currently at 104 mm. Factory Connection is saying 107 mm on stock suspension....

What's everyone else running?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • honda597

Posted February 07, 2010 - 10:26 PM

I've tried the MXA settings, I too went a bit softer on the forks than they recommend.
What I have a hard time with is their 100mm of sag. I'm 185 lb in gear currently at 104 mm. Factory Connection is saying 107 mm on stock suspension....

What's everyone else running?

Adding oil is the key for the standard forks.. I originally raised the oil height by 10mm, as the fork would blow through on any decent hit. The fork has 10% more low speed than the 09 450, but still lacks substance towards the end of the stroke which can be band aided with more oil, but the more oil you put int the less plush it becomes in the mid stroke. I have had the mid valve modified to stop the fork blowing through, which gives the fork a more progressive feel with 350 cm3 of oil.The spring rate is spot oin for 190lb weight.

fork Settings
Comp 9
rebound 11

As for the shock the stock valving is good. It is very plush and maybe a just tad soft.
The std 5.7 spring is boarderline for my weight. 85kg without gear 91kg with gear
I run 102mm race sag with 25mm static sag, i may have to go one rate stiffer according to my tuner as he would like to see a little more static(around 30-35mm)

Shocksettings
comp LS 5
Hs 1 turn
R 11

Edited by honda597, February 09, 2010 - 11:02 PM.

• ProMed

Posted February 08, 2010 - 07:27 AM

Didn't MXA say the orange bike was the one to buy?

Lol, yes they did.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2010 - 08:02 AM

Adding oil is the key for the standard forks..

On the '06, MXA lowered the oil level by 5cc/side.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 14, 2010 - 10:15 AM

Adding oil is the key for the standard forks.. I originally raised the oil height by 10mm, as the fork would blow through on any decent hit. The fork has 10% more low speed than the 09 450, but still lacks substance towards the end of the stroke which can be band aided with more oil, but the more oil you put int the less plush it becomes in the mid stroke. I have had the mid valve modified to stop the fork blowing through, which gives the fork a more progressive feel with 350 cm3 of oil.The spring rate is spot oin for 190lb weight.

fork Settings
Comp 9
rebound 11

As for the shock the stock valving is good. It is very plush and maybe a just tad soft.
The std 5.7 spring is boarderline for my weight. 85kg without gear 91kg with gear
I run 102mm race sag with 25mm static sag, i may have to go one rate stiffer according to my tuner as he would like to see a little more static(around 30-35mm)

Shocksettings
comp LS 5
Hs 1 turn
R 11

I have the 2010 yz450 now and need to set it up and was wondering if my settings would be close to yours. I weigh 197lbs with all my riding gear on.

I just hope I can get by with the springs that are in the forks and the spring that is on the rear with out having to swap them out with stiffer ones.

If nothing else I will try and lose about 5 or so pounds to get in the target weight of the springs. I weigh 174lbs dry the other 23lbs comes from the riding gear.

• steve_97060

Posted February 14, 2010 - 06:17 PM

I have the 2010 yz450 now and need to set it up and was wondering if my settings would be close to yours. I weigh 197lbs with all my riding gear on.

I just hope I can get by with the springs that are in the forks and the spring that is on the rear with out having to swap them out with stiffer ones.

If nothing else I will try and lose about 5 or so pounds to get in the target weight of the springs. I weigh 174lbs dry the other 23lbs comes from the riding gear.

you wearing lead lined protective gear?

• Scrubba

Posted February 15, 2010 - 12:13 AM

^good point. I missed it altogether!

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 15, 2010 - 05:24 AM

It kinda' amuses me that so many riders live in fear about executing suspension adjustments based upon their specific riding ability, and level, yet will read in a magazine about how Johnny high rev MXA test rider had excellent results with a certain suspension clicker setup, so the rider reading the magazine article assumes that said clicker setups is the best for them as well.....

Guys, all those clicker adjustments are there for a reason... USE THEM. Adjust....ride.....document your findings. If you don't like the outcome just revert back to your baseline settings. At the very least you will start to understand how clickers positively (and negitively) affect your overall bikes handling. Suspension is just like jetting, I encourage folks to experiment and learn what works best for them.

Edited by Polar_Bus, February 15, 2010 - 06:34 AM.

• Scrubba

Posted February 15, 2010 - 12:01 PM

It kinda' amuses me that so many riders live in fear about executing suspension adjustments based upon their specific riding ability, and level, yet will read in a magazine about how Johnny high rev MXA test rider had excellent results with a certain suspension clicker setup, so the rider reading the magazine article assumes that said clicker setups is the best for them as well.....

Guys, all those clicker adjustments are there for a reason... USE THEM. Adjust....ride.....document your findings. If you don't like the outcome just revert back to your baseline settings. At the very least you will start to understand how clickers positively (and negitively) affect your overall bikes handling. Suspension is just like jetting, I encourage folks to experiment and learn what works best for them.

thats all good if you got all day, all year to try to get your dial in.
if you go by stock as your base line, thats fine, but in this case, the MXA settings were way out of the ballpark, and i would have NEVER got there.

What i am asking, is for some of you to try the settings, and let me know how it feels to you. So far, we got all kinds of different settings, but nobody
did the MXA one.

So with so many extreme variations, it shows that maybe most people have no clue. I thought my stock base line settings were all good till i tried the MXA ones.

Its not just because "jonny go fast" said it, its because they know what they are doing.

Your comments are self-elevating generalizations. We are looking for specifics when setting up our 2010s.

thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 15, 2010 - 01:16 PM

Your comments are self-elevating generalizations. We are looking for specifics when setting up our 2010s.

thanks

No offense, but your comments indicate a basic lack of understanding of the matter.

You say you want specifics. Specifically how much do you weigh? How fast are you? What does the bike do or not do that you want to improve on? What is the soil type and condition at the specific track you run at? What specifically describes your style?

I'm sorry, but there isn't a single, one size fits all answer to the question of how to set up your suspension, because no one else is you.

I'm glad the MXA settings worked out for you, and I agree that they're worth a try in any case, but I submit they won't work for everyone in every situation. Regardless of where you start, you still have to be able to analyze how the bike responds and adjust it accordingly.

• Scrubba

Posted February 15, 2010 - 02:26 PM

No offense, but your comments indicate a basic lack of understanding of the matter.

You say you want specifics. Specifically how much do you weigh? How fast are you? What does the bike do or not do that you want to improve on? What is the soil type and condition at the specific track you run at? What specifically describes your style?

I'm sorry, but there isn't a single, one size fits all answer to the question of how to set up your suspension, because no one else is you.

I'm glad the MXA settings worked out for you, and I agree that they're worth a try in any case, but I submit they won't work for everyone in every situation. Regardless of where you start, you still have to be able to analyze how the bike responds and adjust it accordingly.

basically, the poster came across saying : go figure for yourself, and if you cant, then keep doing it till you can.

thats like throwin a kid into the deep water and tellin him, "I can swim, but if you cant swim, keep trying til you learn, good luck!"

There are too many vaiables for the average person to deal with. You might think you have it dialed, just like i did. but when i did the MXA settings, i KNEW it was dialed(with a few ajustments)

No offense either, but your comments indicate a lack of understanding of the intent of this thread.

This thread is not about "how to do suspension." there are special forums for that.

This thread is about the 2010 yz450f, and balancing it out to feel how great it really is.

All this thread asks is "did you try the MXA settings, and how did you like it?"

Well Grey, do you feel lucky today?

Edited by Scrubba, February 15, 2010 - 02:45 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.