high octane fuel

5 replies to this topic
  • daniel605

Posted February 06, 2010 - 10:18 PM

For those of you running high octane fuels in your bikes. What kinds have you experamented with, and what kind does the best. I have had a 2010 yz450 for about 2 months now and its kinda hard to start so i went to 93 octane instead of 87 and it helped so im wanting to try some higher octane. Whats the best for the price guys.

• greco3x

Posted February 06, 2010 - 10:45 PM

For those of you running high octane fuels in your bikes. What kinds have you experamented with, and what kind does the best. I have had a 2010 yz450 for about 2 months now and its kinda hard to start so i went to 93 octane instead of 87 and it helped so im wanting to try some higher octane. Whats the best for the price guys.

on dyno test's race fuel does nothing in a stock motor. im not sure if it will help it start easier, it sounds like you have a weak spark or the valves are out of tolerence. i do however think that race fuel burns cleaner and will reduce carbon build up. so i run it when i can in my 2009 kx250f thats only piped and is basically stock. also for your added information, 91 oct is what you should run but 93 sounds better to me. anything over 13.5:1 will need race gas. anything that or below can go on regular pump gas! :ride: and also a little more information that i hope some people and you will read is that the higher the octane the fuel is the slower and cooler it burns, and the less detonation it will have. detonation is where the fuel explodes before its supposed to because the high pressures. lower octane fuel explodes easier on detonation and burns hotter and faster. hope this helped

• Family Man

Posted February 07, 2010 - 12:59 AM

I would say 13.1 is at the safer end of being able to run pump gas on a yz450f. 13.5 may work and may not. Elevation plays a big role.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech857

Posted February 07, 2010 - 05:07 AM

The pump gas around here is all crap. All the stock race type bike have high enough compression to benfit from race gas. It may not make more power but it will run better. Try a couple tanks and see.

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:26 AM

The pump gas around here is all crap. All the stock race type bike have high enough compression to benfit from race gas. It may not make more power but it will run better. Try a couple tanks and see.

As long as the engine does not detonate (ping, etc.), nothing whatsoever will be gained by increasing octane. Race fuels produce more power because they are made from different chemical components, and contain more energy the almost any pump fuel (pump fuel quality varies considerably by region).

Read:

http://www.thumperta...893#post2827893

• greco3x

Posted February 07, 2010 - 11:54 AM

As long as the engine does not detonate (ping, etc.), nothing whatsoever will be gained by increasing octane. Race fuels produce more power because they are made from different chemical components, and contain more energy the almost any pump fuel (pump fuel quality varies considerably by region).

Read:

http://www.thumperta...893#post2827893

very well said, i was gonna tell him that but i figured he would shoot it down :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.