Help! 426 Starting Question?

4 replies to this topic
  • med56

Posted November 27, 2000 - 05:05 PM

I just bought a 2000 model 426 and it is my first 4-stroke. I am following the cold starting drill to the letter but every time I get the bike to fire up it only runs for a second or two and then stalls out. What should I do? My gut instinct is to give it some throttle but everything I have read says stay away from the gas. Help!

Thanks, med56

• Numpsy

Posted November 28, 2000 - 02:44 AM

Hi there,
When it is all fired-up You could try to open the throttle slightly.
It is under the start-up period the throttle is a nono !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted November 28, 2000 - 06:52 AM

Try a half turn more idle speed when it’s cold.

If you are using the choke and this is happening first try more idle and then try it without the choke, prime the motor with the accelerator pump using a short blip of the throttle instead of the choke.

Hope this helps!

• Scott_F

Posted November 28, 2000 - 07:18 AM

Med, when your bike is stone cold, and ambient temps are 70F or less, follow this procedure. Turn on the choke, give the throttle two full twists, find TDC, pull the comp lever, move the kick lever one inch, release comp lever, raise kick starter to top, kick it through, and admire the exhaust note. This works first kick, every time. If the temps are near freezing, twist the throttle three times. If it is in the 30-50F range, leave the choke on for 30 seconds, if warmer, turn the choke off after 5-10 seconds. Let it idle for no more than 1-2 minutes, then roost away.

• med56

Posted November 28, 2000 - 04:24 PM

Thanks guys. I turned the idle up a little and got it running today. I gotta get used to this 4-stroke thing though. Old habits die hard!

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.