What am I missing here...

5 replies to this topic
  • kaaronc

Posted February 06, 2010 - 05:07 PM

I just bought a 99 yz400f and it is having problems idleing, so I did a lot of searches and found out that a different carb would solve my problem (among some other things).

I found an Edlebrock for $53. Can that be right? Everywhere else they are ~$300+

http://shop.hyperfor...~r=~&rand=39870

• myoung

Posted February 06, 2010 - 05:19 PM

Did some searching, looks like they screwed up some of their listings on their site. That price is what they get for their replacement cables. The listing shows the part number for the carb though. I guess you could try and force them to sell it to you for that price.

• kaaronc

Posted February 06, 2010 - 05:47 PM

Did some searching, looks like they screwed up some of their listings on their site. That price is what they get for their replacement cables. The listing shows the part number for the carb though. I guess you could try and force them to sell it to you for that price.

I live in Austin, and they are less than 30mins from my house. Should I order online and hope they send me the carb, or should I go to the store? I'm afraid if I go to the store they will realize their mistake, and change the website.

I just need to be 100% sure the part # they list is for the correct carb. When I add to cart, it seems to be all correct.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • myoung

Posted February 06, 2010 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, I did some more looking around outside of their site, I only looked on their site earlier, that part # looks to be a cable number. If you order that number you'll be getting a cable in the mail. Looks like the screw up is the description not saying cable. If you go in to their store, it will definitely not be that price. The prices they list on the carbs is well over $400, I'd shop elsewhere.

• daniel605

Posted February 06, 2010 - 09:47 PM

first things first has the bike ever been rebuilt. how long has it been since the valves have been adjusted. i had the same prob with my 03 crf 450 when i had it. wouldnt idle. eventually started being hard to start. i checked my valve clearances and they were off. so i did some shimming on the valves and it solved all the problems. might pay off to check them if you havent allready.

• Birdy426

Posted February 06, 2010 - 09:54 PM

Yup...carb replacement surgery is a pretty drastic response...a couple of things to check on the 400s...1) make sure the jets and passages are clean. Replace the pilot jet as they are pretty difficult to get clean, and only cost a couple bux. 2) Make sure the plate on the front side of the carb slide isn't cracked and that it's installed right. 3) Make sure that all of the hoses from the carb and intake to the remote hot start aren't leaking. In fact, you might just replace them to be safe. 4) As Daniel605 says, check the valves, though the 400s had stainless valves which almost never, ever move. 5) Where is the idle set? Should be about 1800 rpm. 6) Is the air filter in good shape? (I know, it's an obvious one, and don't mean to insult your intelligence, but I, too have forgotten the obvious a time or 2). Finally, do a leak down test to be sure rings and valves are in good shape. Search the forum on Edelbrock carbs as well. The general consensus (I think) is that they run well, but the durability leaves a bit to be desired...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.