'01 YZ426 Newbie

6 replies to this topic
  • Ryan426

Posted February 06, 2010 - 04:39 PM

:ride: Hey guys,
I bought a 426 last month and love it. But the prob I have is I have not kept up with th MX scene for the last 17 yrs or so. The 4's have come a long way since I last rode. My ? is what size sprocket should I have on the rear. I will be do trail riding and some street to work maybe. I got plated for st. The last guy who owned it had the wr stator installed so he could run lights. AZ is easy to plates for OHV. Right now it has a 45t on the rear and yesterday I got to open her up but just did'nt seem all that fast. RPM's were high when I was hauling down the dirt road. Can you guys give me ant maint tips, riding tips, and any general tips? Thanks! :lol:

• myoung

Posted February 06, 2010 - 05:05 PM

RPM's were high with a 45?

What's the counter shaft sprocket?

On my '00 426, I'm running 13/48 for a little more top speed in the open desert. 49 or 50 would be better for a track. Your 45 would get you a lot of top speed, but would feel like a dog out of the hole. Also, a 45 wouldn't see high RPM's in 5th gear till you were flying down the road, unless you're running something pretty small up front. How fast are you looking to go?

• rc4life

Posted February 06, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hey Ryan I just got a 01 426 today! What part of the valley you in? Im want to make mine street legal, what does your set up consist of?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ryan426

Posted February 06, 2010 - 08:00 PM

wr front head light and rear fender with tail light. WR stator. Im in Bullhead city. Were you at?

• camuchi

Posted February 06, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Me too! just bought an 02 426 yesterday! What a hoss! this thing hauls !

I haven't ridden since back when a dt 400 was hot stuff.
Gonna have to ease into with this bike.

• Ryan426

Posted February 06, 2010 - 08:12 PM

I know this is one sick bike!! Love it!!!!

• kraig wr400

Posted February 06, 2010 - 08:15 PM

For you answer i changed the sprockets on mine and now its awsome for the trails, and with my other set i can do at least 75 no problum

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.