2001 WR426 Stator Problem

8 replies to this topic
  • rhoads2trails

Posted February 06, 2010 - 04:11 PM

My lighting coil on the stator does not work and I am having no luck finding another wr stator. Could I use a 2001 yz426 lighting stator & will it run the lights & turn signals? Also will it make a difference if the 426 has been modified to a 444? thanks for any help!

• bakeyz426f

Posted February 06, 2010 - 05:21 PM

a stock yz426f stator is not made to run lights so it wouldnt work. are you talking about an after market one?

• rhoads2trails

Posted February 06, 2010 - 07:18 PM

Yes, its a after market made by Electrex World.

• Birdy426

Posted February 06, 2010 - 09:45 PM

You would need the YZ flywheel to go with it, and whatever regulator/rectifier that Electrex says you need, but it should work. 444 makes no difference

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rhoads2trails

Posted February 07, 2010 - 07:39 AM

Thanks, I was afraid of losing power to the spark. At this point I have nothing to lose! Do I need to change the CDI to a yz? Electrex will not answer my email after I purchased their stator. hmmm got my money!

• Birdy426

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:49 AM

Thanks, I was afraid of losing power to the spark. At this point I have nothing to lose! Do I need to change the CDI to a yz? Electrex will not answer my email after I purchased their stator. hmmm got my money!

Shouldn't need to change the CDI box, but you may need to be a bit "creative" in connecting it...if I understand it right, the electrolux stator has a pulse coil like the stock stator, and a separate 35W DC lighting coil. Not sure if the ground is floated on that or not...regardless, the pulse coil connection should be the same. What does the Electrolux coil use for a regulator...their own?

• rhoads2trails

Posted February 07, 2010 - 10:41 AM

They told me all I needed was their stator & everything else is compatable. I am using a regulator/rectifier because I am using a battery. When I told them that the stock WR flywheel did not work with their stator they did not write me back. I guess I will use a YZ flywheel and hope all else will work. This has been a nightmare trying to get my lights to work. I have a wr400 stator that quit & the 426 that quit & bought this other 426 stator off ebay which the ignition works but not the yellow lighting wire. Cant find this part or have it rewound. Very uncool.

• Birdy426

Posted February 07, 2010 - 03:05 PM

They told me all I needed was their stator & everything else is compatable. I am using a regulator/rectifier because I am using a battery. When I told them that the stock WR flywheel did not work with their stator they did not write me back. I guess I will use a YZ flywheel and hope all else will work. This has been a nightmare trying to get my lights to work. I have a wr400 stator that quit & the 426 that quit & bought this other 426 stator off ebay which the ignition works but not the yellow lighting wire. Cant find this part or have it rewound. Very uncool.

What quit on the 400 and 426 ignitions? Pulse? Lighting? How long did they work? That many fails I would look at EVERYTHING to be sure there isn't something on your bike that is causing damage. If the coil wires aren't cut or the insullation damaged, there's really not much that can go wrong with them...I think Baja Designs or Ricky Stator can rewind your coils for you if that's the problem.

Are you using a stock Regulator? Have you floated the ground on the lighting coil?

• rhoads2trails

Posted February 08, 2010 - 04:18 AM

The 426 stator failure was due to the engine over heating & seizing (hole in radiator on the trails). The 400 stator plate chipped off in my 400 motor and chips got up in the motor. Mean while I got a yz426 motor to replace the wr426 and instead of rebuilding the 400 I rebuilt the wr426 and put it in the 400 frame and made it street legal. Yamaha told me that when the engine gets hot it will melt the wires in the stator. Both stators worked untill they were removed and put back in. I did not float the ground but I didnt think I needed to since it was a wr stator on a wr motor....right?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.