Clutch ball missing

3 replies to this topic
  • umu24013

Posted February 06, 2010 - 12:39 PM

YZ426F. When taking apart my clutch, I noticed the lack of the ball that goes between Push rod 1 and Push rod 2.

There are slight groves on the rod surface (rod's outer end)

..and some wear at the other (inner) end

Posted Image

Any ideas, comments?

Edited by umu24013, February 06, 2010 - 11:15 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2010 - 02:56 PM

The 2000 model didn't have one. That started with '01. As I recall, the outer push rods made for use with a ball have a small socket in the end of it that yours doesn't. Also, if the ball was missing from a 3 piece set, free play would be very difficult to set without running the cable adjusters to their limit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • umu24013

Posted February 07, 2010 - 12:32 AM

The 2000 model didn't have one. That started with '01.

Thank you grayracer513 for the info!

As I recall, the outer push rods made for use with a ball have a small socket in the end of it that yours doesn't.

The other (smaller) rod has a small rounded bore inside the well. Why?

Posted Image

Also, if the ball was missing from a 3 piece set, free play would be very difficult to set without running the cable adjusters to their limit.

My clutch cable adjusters already are at the very end of their limit. Worn out cable? (the clutch plates are in perfect condition)

Should I need to replace the long rod with a new one due to its wear (see the first pic)?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:19 AM

The cable might be worn, but the wear on the rod may also be the cause of the cable needing to be run out so far. If the clutch itself wears, that reduces free play, so that's not it.

I'd replace the long rod at least, and check the condition of the business end of the release arm, too. You might think about replacing both rods with the 3 piece set from an '02.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.