Racing in OZ

3 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted February 06, 2010 - 12:20 AM

Any of you guys (Aussies aside) thinking of coming to Australia for a holiday/ride in the next 12 months? If so, there's a race my club runs which you might want to consider riding.

It's called the Hattah Desert Race, which is the second biggest race of its type in Australia. Runs for four hours straight, multiple laps of a 35km track. I'm guessing it's sort of like the US GNCC races, except the conditions are usually PRIMO. They get rough and whooped out, but have a look at these pics from last year's event to get an idea. The first few are from the Friday night scrutineering/show and shine/meet and greet. Next page has some magic shots showing the conditions.

http://www.smugmug.c...580838968_cB6mf

There is an iron man, which means one rider doing the whole four hours straight. You can also do pony express - two riders doing alternate laps.

If there's a group willing to come across I should be able to help out with entry fees etc. The race is on the first weekend in July every year.

Just do a Google for the race, there's heaps of coverage floating around.

• JDLowrance

Posted February 06, 2010 - 10:32 PM

I lived down in Aus for a few years and ended up racing the Finke a couple of times. Didn't do too bad the second time, got 28th overall out of about 400 racers. Pretty happy with that considering I decided to just cruise down and back without falling off (3 times) like I did in the first attempt.

Heard about the Hattah but never made it down there. I'm sure it'd be a blast.

If you get a chance to race in Aus I'd highly recommend it as the competition and comraderie is second to none.

John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Artful Codger

Posted February 17, 2010 - 03:12 AM

Any of you guys (Aussies aside) thinking of coming to Australia for a holiday/ride in the next 12 months? If so, there's a race my club runs which you might want to consider riding.

It's called the Hattah Desert Race, which is the second biggest race of its type in Australia. Runs for four hours straight, multiple laps of a 35km track.
There is an iron man, which means one rider doing the whole four hours straight. You can also do pony express - two riders doing alternate laps.

If there's a group willing to come across I should be able to help out with entry fees etc. The race is on the first weekend in July every year.

I rode that in '74 (or was it '73) when it was the BP desert race...nearly got run over by mad buggy drivers...good to see its still going strong...I think there were over 300 bikes there that year...

• forsta_02

Posted March 22, 2011 - 01:55 AM

It's called the Hattah Desert Race, which is the second biggest race of its type in Australia. Runs for four hours straight, multiple laps of a 35km track. I'm guessing it's sort of like the US GNCC races, except the conditions are usually PRIMO. They get rough and whooped out, but have a look at these pics from last year's event to get an idea. The first few are from the Friday night scrutineering/show and shine/meet and greet. Next page has some magic shots showing the conditions.

http://www.smugmug.c...580838968_cB6mf

hey mate im in australia at the moment but surely you know alot about the hattah race.

i grew up near mildura as a kid but have now moved to brisbane but now, im super keen to go down and see the family and possibly race in the hattah race.. tho ive never raced before and have no idea where to start with getting licences or anything. maybe you could possibly help ?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.