99 YZ400F Questions

9 replies to this topic
  • scottzx7rr

Posted November 27, 2000 - 10:09 PM

Recently purchased a 99 and was wonder what are some of the mods that you would recommend for the bike. I race Harescrambles and plan on some MX next year. I am going to have the suspension gone through by Race-Tech.

I was looking at the Stroker Exhaust system but would like other suggestions.

It currently has:
New Top End Rebuilt(precaution due to clutch cover leak).
New Clutch Disks and Steel Pressure plates.
Excel Rims.
Pro-Tapers.
10oz Flywheel weight.

Thanks in Advance.

------------------
Scott #431
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• Hick

Posted November 27, 2000 - 12:53 PM

Lots of guys on this site like the FMF powerbomb with the Stroker silencer. White Bro.s E-Series is also popular (and probably the most popular pipe for the YZF). I have the Pro Circuit T4 and like the great bottom and mid and excellent fit, it doesn’t have the chunky header to tailpipe gasket. But pipes are expensive and the YZF isn’t exactly corked up stock so don’t count on too much bang for your buck here.

I race off-road and the most important mods for my 426 were:
1) Dez tank. I went opaque IMS and like it fine but people rave about the IMS Ty Davis tank’s narrow feel and the fact that Acerbis tank keeps pet cock on left side.
2) Scott’s damper. Get one and you will not be sorry, the smartest $$ I ever threw at any bike.
3) Ty Davis Bar Mounted Hot Start. Expensive but very trick looking, plus it works great, finding the stock button after a fall in a race was too frustrating/time consuming.
4) Taller seat foam (from Ceet I think, don’t remember) and an N-Style gripper seat cover. The latter is supposed to be a no-no for long races but my butt is either tougher than normal (from days in a real saddle) or the softer foam alleviates the Monkey Butt phenomenon. Either way the two combined to make the bike a lot easier to keep under me, especially when I get tired.

I don’t race MX but I imagine some compromise (MX vs. off-road) will be in order when you talk to your suspension tuner.

Hope this helps!!

• scottzx7rr

Posted November 28, 2000 - 03:29 AM

Thanks Hicks!

The bike does have a new Hot Start Button on it so I am lucky theere.

I was starting to look for a Scott's Dampner already. I have a friend that has one and love it. I didn't notice it on the bike till I got back on my bike. LOL

------------------
Scott #431
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
Pics

• JPNTHUMP

Posted November 28, 2000 - 03:34 AM

I just installed the Scott's Triple clamps and damper. Talk about the best money I've ever spent. It turns better and the damper works miracles. Bring your bike up to 2000 standards and replace your clamps with the offset clamps from www.scottsperformance.com. You'll thank me lator, but it'll hurt the bank account.

• scottzx7rr

Posted November 28, 2000 - 05:09 AM

Probably a dumb question but I heard that the clutches on these bikes were suspect for a chink in their armor. Is that a true statement? I can't remember where I heard this but didn't know if this was just a myth.

------------------
Scott #431
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
Pics

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted November 28, 2000 - 06:47 AM

Originally posted by scottzx7rr:
Probably a dumb question but I heard that the clutches on these bikes were suspect for a chink in their armor.

The ‘00, not the ’99, is the one with the suspect clutch.

• scottzx7rr

Posted November 28, 2000 - 12:02 PM

Thanks!

------------------
Scott #431
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
Pics

• daveyg

Posted November 28, 2000 - 01:35 PM

Scott,

Have a Pro Circuit T4 full pipe for sale for the YZ400's. Exc. condition, no dents. My brother used it on his 400 before he got his 426......He wants 250.00 for it.........let me know if your interested.

daveyg (ziggieg@aol.com)

• daveyg

Posted November 28, 2000 - 06:26 PM

Scott,

Sorry, the T4's are for the 426. This pipe is a Pro Circuit pipe that was designed for the 400's. I can send you a pic of it if you want. Cheers.

Daveyg - ziggieg@aol.com

• scottzx7rr

Posted November 30, 2000 - 03:28 AM

Hey Davey,

Sounds great, if you don't mind I would appreciate the pic. Do you know if it is a Rev or Torque designed pipe as I race mostly Harescrambles and off-road events with a few mx events throughen in to deflat the ego. LOL

After reading this site and all my talk with friends that have the bike I can't wait to get my hands on the bike. LOL I wish I wouldn't have made the deal with the wife to wait till after New Years to get the bike. LOL Seeing how this is my X-Mas present for myself. LOL

------------------
Scott #431
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
Pics

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.