09 YZF 450 steering stem torque?

4 replies to this topic
  • Gunner354

Posted February 04, 2010 - 06:26 PM

Looking for the torque spec for the steering stem. Need to grease bearings and need torque. Don't have manual.

• gtguy

Posted February 04, 2010 - 06:40 PM

I've found Yamaha sets them at 9 1/4 turns in from the factory. That's how I set all of mine when I put them back together.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted February 04, 2010 - 07:19 PM

What? There is a torque spec. for the upper triple clamp nut or steering stem nut.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 04, 2010 - 07:38 PM

What? There is a torque spec. for the upper triple clamp nut or steering stem nut.

The manual is in the common thread sticky. Its something like 35ft/lb then back off a full turn then torque to 5ft/lb. Dont quote me get the manual.

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2010 - 07:54 PM

The manual can be downloaded here:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

When setting the bearings, run the ring nut down to around 25 ft/lb and turn the stem a few times to square everything up, then back off the ring nut to zero torque and set it at 5 ft/lb (60 in/lb). Then slip the fork tubes in place to line up the top clamp, drop the top clamp on and torque the crown nut to 105 ft/lb. This will noticeably tighten the feel of the head bearings.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.