CRF 450 vs. CR 250 vs. YZF 450

9 replies to this topic
  • red954

Posted May 15, 2003 - 01:50 PM

I am planning on getting a new bike, at first I was going to get a 2002 CR 250. Then someone told me that it wouldn't keep up with a YZF 450, So now I am thinking on getting a CRF 450. I was just wondering if anyone new the performance difference in these three bikes, any info would be helpful.

• Throttlejockey

Posted May 15, 2003 - 02:23 PM

A bike is only going to go as fast as you can ride it. :)
They are all good but it's just what works best for you.
My advice is to leech a ride on each one and see for yourself if your a 4 stroke person.

• yardpro

Posted May 16, 2003 - 01:18 AM

if you are having to rely on the advise of someone else, then you don't have the experience to outride any of those bikes. They are all very capable machines. The trick is, as TJ said to find one that suits you. I have a crf 450 and can't keep up with this one particular kid on a cr85 at the local track, nor can alot of guys on yzf 450's, yzf250's, kx 250's, yz250's and rm 250's. Doer that mean that honda has built the ultimate MX bike---------the cr85?

• yardpro

Posted May 16, 2003 - 01:24 AM

oops, didn't quite finish. I have ridden all three. I have and love my crf. I have ridden red since the mid 80's and am adapted to thier characteristics. The yamahas feel funny. I can't corner with them. But the yzf 450 is a great machine. The red and blue are dead even motor wise. Two friends have 03 cr250's and I didn't like them. they feel too light, and I can't get it to hook up. I'm not very good with the clutch for power delivery.
whichever you choose, don't pick the fastest in a drag race (unless that's all you'll be doing with it). Pick the one you're the most comfortable on, that alone will make you much faster than a bigger motor.

• 125shifter

Posted May 16, 2003 - 02:10 AM

Posted this on the blue 450 forum the other day. The original post was asking for an opinion of the CRF450R. It's somewhat relevent...

It's all (modern bikes) I've ever riden. I've got a feel for it now and would not want to even try anything else. It's not that I'm closed minded, but the CRF450R does what I want it to and I have no plans to switch to another machine.

If you're asking this prior to making a purchase, do the following:<ul type="square">
[*]get dart
[*]place 8.5x11 sheet of paper w/ "blue" written on it on wall
[*]place 8.5x11 sheet of paper w/ "red" written on it on wall adjacent to the above paper
[*]take (10) steps back from above targets
[*]throw dart
[*]observe result
[*]call respective dealer and order [/list]You won't go wrong either way.

If, however, you want to eliminate the above noted hassle, just go w/ the red one. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted May 16, 2003 - 06:16 AM

I have a crf 450 and can't keep up with this one particular kid on a cr85 at the local track, nor can alot of guys on yzf 450's, yzf250's, kx 250's, yz250's and rm 250's

:D

Last time I was in the desert I had this same thing happen to me. I got onto a track and was doing well against other bikes (especially on the straights and whoops :D), then this kid on a CR85 jumps in and smokes us all in the tighter sections. He always cleard this particular uneven triple that none of us dared and made it look easy. Most of us pulled off the track and stood there watching this kid :) I don't know who he was, but he sure could ride. He would have been great on any bike.

• LowCo

Posted May 16, 2003 - 08:48 AM

Must have been my son on the cr85 :DJ/K
They ARE hot bikes though! Once he gets around me, I cant pass him!

Randy

• Fastest1

Posted May 16, 2003 - 09:07 AM

Do you have a bike now and you are moving up? Have you ever had a bike? How much experience do you have? What type of riding are you planning on doing? If you have little to no experience and the sport looks fun, any of the bikes you have mentioned can "liven" up your day. None of these are slow and where they are designed to be ridden top end doesnt matter much anyway. If I was ever in 5th on my 426 coming up to a set of triples, I would clear the whole jump, fence, bleachers etc. Response and handling are bigger issues than just speed. Good Luck

• red954

Posted May 16, 2003 - 11:41 AM

I've ridden bikes for 15 years, started off on a pw 80 then, 83 RM 80, 92 RM 250, two 86 CR 250's, and now I have a 2002 CBR 954. I still have my 86 CR 250, but I just want to get something new with more power. I am thinking on going to a race track but not with my old bike, but I mostly drive in the trails.

• Motoxjeff95

Posted May 16, 2003 - 01:03 PM

if you are having to rely on the advise of someone else, then you don't have the experience to outride any of those bikes.

Amen to that one!! I LOVE 250's, but everything is going to go four stroke, so I figured I mise as well learn to ride the big dog's (450's). The 450 has mellower power, however the HP is almost the same...please dont confuse mellow with weak. I got the hole shot every time on my CRF450, and it was a great bike! I have made SO many write ups on comparing the 250 to the 450, I should just save them! I have had the chance to ride a lot of bikes (as you can see in my signature), and they all have there weakness's and strengths...then again, as someone said earlier I had a kid on an RM85 pass my like I was still on a 450 :) (he was a pro 85 rider...LOL, that makes me feel better).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 crf450r top end by jlkroner

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 crf450 suspension by DHS_sponsored

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  26 replies
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Please help , this is my first post. Carb issues? by cjr19543

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

TRAIL READY 13 CRF 450R? by ShazzaM

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  26 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.