09 w/3 hrs. Bad clutch noise.

7 replies to this topic
  • dvn

Posted February 04, 2010 - 03:42 PM

I have a new 09 with 3 hours on it. While riding today, it suddenly started making a loud whirring/bad bearing type noise from the clutch area. It does get much quieter when the clutch is pulled in but it is very noticeable otherwise. Even friends watching could here it. I have ridden the bike two times previously and it did not make this noise. I pulled the cover and removed the plates and did not see anything obviously wrong. It got louder as the bike got hotter. I stopped riding the bike because I did not want to risk further damage. I did do a search and saw several threads about 06 and earlier models being normal. I do not believe this is normal noise in my case. Like I said, it did not make the noise previously. Any suggestions? :ride:

• tek_01

Posted February 04, 2010 - 04:14 PM

Mine makes a similar noise although it is an 05 and it is not as loud as spectators can hear it so you maybe have another more serious problem especially if it gets louder as it warms up

• myoung

Posted February 04, 2010 - 05:08 PM

Did you install a glide plate?

I bought a bike that already had one. The previous owner had installed the foam piece and it completely packed up with mud. I took the foam out and now I hear all kinds of noises that scare me, but from what I have read are normal and are echoing off the plate.

If you haven't, then you may have something that's coming undone. Did you pull the clutch basket? Maybe a bearing going bad somewhere other than the clutch?

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2010 - 05:16 PM

I'm going with normal. If you do have a skid plate, remove it and see what happens. If that makes it quieter, line the plate with two strips of lightweight inner tube rubber where it contacts the frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dvn

Posted February 04, 2010 - 06:18 PM

I'm going with normal. If you do have a skid plate, remove it and see what happens. If that makes it quieter, line the plate with two strips of lightweight inner tube rubber where it contacts the frame.

I do have a glide plate that has been on since new. I did see all the posts concerning the skid plates amplifying noise. I started thinking about when exactly I started hearing the noise today and it was after I had come up short on a long table a couple times. At the time I thought it was a coincidence but I could have bottomed hard enough to have whacked the skid plate and maybe shifted something. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I sure hope it's something that simple. Thanks for the suggestions.

• dvn

Posted February 05, 2010 - 11:43 AM

Today I removed the skid plate, changed the oil, (oil and filter looked clean, no signs of metal shavings) and added some more foam between the engine and the plate and placed rubber strips where it contacts the frame. The noise seems to be greatly reduced and while riding around the yard I didn't notice it, but sitting still, with the clutch out, I still here some noise that is reduced or eliminated when the clutch is pulled in. Maybe I'm just looking for it now and it was always there??? Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that it is normal for there to be some reduction of noise when the clutch is pulled in. Unfortunately, I won't be able to tell if it is significantly better until I go all the way to the indoor mx facility again in a couple weeks. If it seems much better when riding, but I still hear it at idle, what do you think, normal?

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2010 - 02:28 PM

It's absolutely normal, as you describe it. Go over this explanation of it, and see if you don't feel a bit better:

http://www.thumperta...282#post5362282

When you're at the track next, listen to a couple more. They all do this.

• Riding3

Posted February 05, 2010 - 05:06 PM

Today Gray and I had some discussions regarding this issue. Here is a link from a while back.
I did this trick on my 07 450 but instead broke the sharp jagged edges of the fibres and steels. It fixed the noise coming from my bike. It works.

http://www.thumperta...hp/t-84115.html

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.