Exhaust Melting Plastics

3 replies to this topic
  • 426yota

Posted February 04, 2010 - 10:44 AM

So i just bought my 00 yz426f a month ago and I noticed that it is melting the plastics around the exhaust. I took off the number plate because it was melting within a minute of the bike running the first time I went out. I'm assuming I am runnning the carb way too rich or something. Could it possibly be the aftermarket FMF exhaust on there as well?

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 04, 2010 - 01:16 PM

So i just bought my 00 yz426f a month ago and I noticed that it is melting the plastics around the exhaust. I took off the number plate because it was melting within a minute of the bike running the first time I went out. I'm assuming I am runnning the carb way too rich or something. Could it possibly be the aftermarket FMF exhaust on there as well?

They will melt plastics when you let them idle for any longer than a minute at a time. To prevent this on mine i went to napa and found some aluminum tape to cover the inside of my plate with and have not had the problem since. Also Rich would mean more fuel and cooler motor temps in most conditions and Lean would be less fuel and hotter temps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2010 - 01:34 PM

Tape works OK, but the good stuff is the Maier heat tiles at the bottom of this page:

http://shop.thumpert...efault.asp?p=56

• cwcarter

Posted February 05, 2010 - 04:06 AM

Repack your muffler, shouldn't be that hot.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.