2010 YZ450 Cold weather starting

16 replies to this topic
  • Ronin05

Posted February 03, 2010 - 06:38 PM

Was curious if anyone else that has a 2010 YZ450 and lives in a city that actually has winter had problems starting the bike in lower temps? I've noticed that when the temps drop below 40 (my garage isn't heated) my 2010 won't start (or even act like it is trying to) unless I put heat on it for a few minutes. This I find kind of odd since my 07 YZ450 which is parked right beside it will fire up in the same conditions after only a few kicks. Both use the same oil and fuel.

If the temp gets above 40 the 2010 will fire up normally. Also noticed that in the colder temps the bike starts better if I don't use the "choke". So was curious if anyone else in cold weather cities noticed this also? Would tweaking the fueling help this at all?

Please no comments on starting procedure because I do know how to start the bike. The scenario I am referring to above is something that I can repeat over and over.

• racerxx276

Posted February 03, 2010 - 07:25 PM

I've had the 06-2010 YZ450's and not one would start when its below 40 degrees. So I don't feel its something with the 10 model.... not sure why your 07 will start....

• freerider_australia

Posted February 03, 2010 - 10:47 PM

there is a post on this subject do a search i think they where even lower temp

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2010 - 01:40 PM

there is a post on this subject do a search i think they where even lower temp

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=865788

• Ronin05

Posted February 04, 2010 - 03:29 PM

thanks for the link but that isn't the problem that I'm having. As I said it's simply a matter of the bike not doing anything at all if the outside temp is below 40. Choke or no choke it won't do anything.

The issue is simply at one of the indoor tracks I go to they have a heater I can put on it which is fine. But if I go to another track that doesn't then I'm kind of SOL. So again just trying to figure out if this is just something I'm going to have to deal with or is it something that can be fixed through mapping (which I doubt because again the bike doesn't do anything). My 07 fires up without a problem.

• Mike546

Posted February 04, 2010 - 05:55 PM

I know you said you didn't want to hear about procedures but if it won't start hold it wide open for ten or twelve kicks to clean it out it will probably start, mine does. I'll be quiet now.

• Ronin05

Posted February 04, 2010 - 07:29 PM

Don't mean to be rude but now I'm actually sorry I bothered posting this in the first place. It isn't a procedure issue. Holding the throttle open doesn't accomplish anything (trust me I've tried). Trust me I know how to start my bike. When I say cold temp I am not talking about the bike being cold from not having run. I am talking about the weather conditions.

It was in the 30s and below for a couple of weeks and the bike simply would not start, It didn't even act like it was trying to start. I spent half a day and nothing. The following week the temps almost got to 40 and it fired right up using the standard starting procedure. When the temps dropped again the same situation. When they rose back up the bike worked. The fact that I went a purchased a blower to put heat on the bike and it now starts without problem clearly to me means that the bike is effected by the low temps.

My simple question is if anyone else had this problem if so was there anything they did aside from carrying around a heater with them to go ride to resolve this. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

Again sorry if I come off rude but this is the very reason why I don't do forums, no matter what you say or how detailed you try to be , people assume you are stupid

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2010 - 08:32 PM

Don't mean to be rude ...

You're not really trying very hard to avoid it, either. I think you'll find the weather in New York where Mike is to be fairly similar to that in Illinois. The post referenced does not in fact speak directly to the specific problem you're having, but if you look through it, there might be some information in it that you could use to figure out what's going on. Both of these people offered you help as well as they could. It costs you nothing whether you use it or ignore it.

Meantime, if you don't totally poison the well, maybe someone will come along who has had a similar experience and has something more specific.

If you have the tuner, you might experiment with more fuel and spark advance in the low throttle/low rpm segment of the map.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike546

Posted February 05, 2010 - 03:36 AM

Don't mean to be rude but now I'm actually sorry I bothered posting this in the first place. It isn't a procedure issue. Holding the throttle open doesn't accomplish anything (trust me I've tried). Trust me I know how to start my bike. When I say cold temp I am not talking about the bike being cold from not having run. I am talking about the weather conditions.

It was in the 30s and below for a couple of weeks and the bike simply would not start, It didn't even act like it was trying to start. I spent half a day and nothing. The following week the temps almost got to 40 and it fired right up using the standard starting procedure. When the temps dropped again the same situation. When they rose back up the bike worked. The fact that I went a purchased a blower to put heat on the bike and it now starts without problem clearly to me means that the bike is effected by the low temps.

My simple question is if anyone else had this problem if so was there anything they did aside from carrying around a heater with them to go ride to resolve this. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

Again sorry if I come off rude but this is the very reason why I don't do forums, no matter what you say or how detailed you try to be , people assume you are stupid

I'm not assuming your stupid :ride: but I've had the same problem and it works for me in temps down to the teens so I thought I would share it with you. The bike seem to flood ................... oh never mind.

• eazrider

Posted February 05, 2010 - 06:50 AM

You could always try the tried and true gas-in-a-mustard-bottle-into-the-intake trick. If it is a problem with the injector not rich enough at that cold temp, pull the air cleaner and a squirt of fuel into the throttle body will help. If you're having a spark issue, that would be easy enough to confirm by hanging a plug on the wire and kicking it over.....If it is lean, it can probably be remapped to correct at cold.....

• ProMed

Posted February 05, 2010 - 05:28 PM

this is the very reason why I don't do forums, no matter what you say or how detailed you try to be , people assume you are stupid

If someone is confident in their own intelligence they probably don't worry about other people assuming if they are stupid or not... especially on a message board. imo of course.

Good luck trying to start your dirt bike.

• daniel605

Posted February 06, 2010 - 10:05 PM

my 2010 starts normally first or second kick in 18 degree weather dont know what your doing wrong but get the book out again lol sorry had to throw that in there. i dont start mine by procedure either

• moto2000

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:35 AM

Do you think it's a matter of not a rich enough mixture to light up?

If a water temp or air temp sensor is handy, you could unplug it and see if it starts any better when cold. The ECU should default to a richer setting like that.

Just a thought....

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2010 - 09:41 AM

...Or plug the tuner in and see if you're getting an accurate read on the engine temp when cold.

• Thumper38

Posted February 09, 2010 - 08:39 AM

my 2010 starts normally first or second kick in 18 degree weather dont know what your doing wrong but get the book out again lol sorry had to throw that in there. i dont start mine by procedure either

Mine starts in two or three kicks too when its ice cold!

• Mike546

Posted February 11, 2010 - 08:47 AM

Went out yesterday, 28 degrees and gave it four kicks to charge things up and then it started on the first kick from TDC. I do have the MXA slow map installed so maybe that has something to do with it.

• barbuster400

Posted February 19, 2010 - 08:50 AM

Mine starts just fine. Been riding it on the ice this winter. All stock

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.