2000 -vs- 2001 headpipe

3 replies to this topic
  • Boomer

Posted November 20, 2000 - 03:38 AM

Guys,

Because there is no real power gain, and especially NO HEAT SHIELD on the aftermarket products, I want to go with a 2001 headpipe for my 2000 model - just to gain access to the oil filter cover (bolt).

If anyone changes their 2001 system, I would be interetsed in their headpipe. I eyeballed a 2001 at a dealership, and it looks like the connect points to the muffler are the same.

... just an inquiry.

thanks,
Boomer

• YZThumpa

Posted November 20, 2000 - 06:42 PM

If you are just looking for access to the oil filter, I was told that you can loosen the pipe, rotate it enough for clearance, and tighten it in this position. Haven't tried it on my 2000 yet. They said it just sticks out a little more and is more prone to taking a blow if you go down. Anyone done this, or is this a bonehead idea? I did see it on one bike. Saw the dent, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • techman

Posted November 20, 2000 - 08:48 PM

You can't leave it rotated out and tightened because the headpipe flange won't sit flat on the cylinder mating surface. When you re-align the pipe after an oil change, it's how the flange flattens onto the cylinder that aligns the pipe, followed by tightening the pipe-to-pipe clamp. So the short answer is no.

• Scott_F

Posted November 21, 2000 - 08:36 AM

Techman is exactly right. You will end up with an exhaust leak and a popping machine.

Scott F

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.