What to do with 06 450?

8 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted February 02, 2010 - 09:55 PM

I have a 2006 YZ450f with a blown engine that I am not sure what to do with. The cases, cylinder, and one intake valve are not reuseable, and the crank would have to be rebuilt, but everything else in the engine department seems it could be reused (save for bearings and screens that may have been damaged by metal fragments, as I have yet to examine that far). The bike also currently has no wheels. Everything else is in excellent condiution and there are no problems anywhere else. I was planning on keeping it as a parts bike for my 08 YZ450f but I know a few things won't directly interchange without swapping a few things( forks and triple clamps). I am not sure what I should do with it. Here are some options I came up with:

-Keep it as parts.

-Try to rebuilt the engine?

-Try to find a complete YZ engine and a set of wheels and make it a complete bike. Then keep it or sell it.

-Try to find a complete WR engine for the tranny and lighting capabilities( which would be great for the kind of riding i do).

-Part it out.

-Sell all the parts I have in a package deal to someone who can make up their mind about what they would like to do.

Any suggestions? Any input would be appreciated.:ride:

• Jim813

Posted February 03, 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hmm no one... How about this:

What isn't interchangeable between a 2006 and 2008 Yz450f engine? I know the shift mechanism was changed in 2007 somehow but i do not remember how exactly( maybe a change away from the roller bearing?). Would an 08 engine would in a 2006 chassis with a 2006 wiring harness, CDI, and carb?

• myoung

Posted February 04, 2010 - 12:27 AM

I like the WR engine and lights idea. :ride:

Might be a lot of expense for all the parts you'd need though, could probably just part this out and go buy a WR with your parts money added to the money you would have spent fixing it. :lol:

• Ga426owner

Posted February 04, 2010 - 07:22 AM

U need to find out what the cost would be to rebuild it and add wheels....
if you can do this and not be completely upside down.. (this depends on how much $$ you have tied up in it currently)and either enjoy it for a year or sell it rebuilt for +/- 3k is it worth it to you?
You need to decide...

I would think depending on your current investment into it
that salvage and part out would make more economical sense.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2010 - 07:51 AM

Hmm no one... How about this:

What isn't interchangeable between a 2006 and 2008 Yz450f engine? I know the shift mechanism was changed in 2007 somehow but i do not remember how exactly( maybe a change away from the roller bearing?). Would an 08 engine would in a 2006 chassis with a 2006 wiring harness, CDI, and carb?

Nothing isn't interchangeable up to '09.

• sootgrinder

Posted February 04, 2010 - 05:08 PM

With that amount of carnage you would be best to strip it and part it on EBAY. In my area if the bike was a nice complete running bike it would bring about $3,000. I seriously doubt that it is worth all the time and money to put it back together. If you have the time to completely strip it and part it, I think that is the way to go.

Soot

• Jim813

Posted February 04, 2010 - 06:51 PM

I don't have too much money into the bike as I purchased it when the engine was already gone.

Another thing I am worried about is the engine was dissassembled before I bought it, and there is a possibility some things may be missing.

I'm thinking if I rebuilt the bike I would most likely try to sell it.

I'd like to have a bike that is very reliable, has a wide ration tranny, and lighting capabilities. A late model WR seems to be out of my price range, but an XR650 may be a good less expensive option...

• yam314

Posted February 07, 2010 - 08:07 AM

I have been in a similar situation as you.I parted the bike,and ended up w/ probably more money than I could have gotten if it was complete and running.

Plus,you can have a good source of spares-radiators,brakes,levers,cables,plastics,ect
I got a lot of sales thru TT classifieds,and E-bay.

• Jim813

Posted February 09, 2010 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for all the input:thumbsup:. Like most everyone recommended I am going to part the bike out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.