Over it! 2010

7 replies to this topic
  • fishkiller

Posted February 02, 2010 - 01:51 PM

Tired of salivating over these new 2010 450's. Been riding my heavily modified 2005 yz 250 2t for several years now and am ready to move up. I have only ever ridden two strokes so looking forward to this new bike. I do have a few questions about maintenence differences in the two m,achines. I am not asking about any thing other than motor stuff such as oil change intervals, gas, valves, and all that good stuf.
I currently change my oil every two rides and use straight 100ll av gas that is very easy for me to get.
How do you guys keep your pump gas good for a week or two? What kind of oil and how often? Valves on these new machines? Talk to me!
Thanks for any replies and look forward to contributing to this new dark side of things! And BTW I am keeping my 2t just in case!
Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2010 - 02:21 PM

I currently change my oil every two rides and use straight 100ll av gas that is very easy for me to get.
How do you guys keep your pump gas good for a week or two? What kind of oil and how often? Valves on these new machines? Talk to me!

AvGas of any kind is entirely the wrong fuel for a motorcycle, period. First, the higher octane is unnecessary, and second, there's a performance loss for using it. AvGas is blended for big displacement, slow turning engines with long intake tracts that run at a steady state at extremely low temps and at high altitudes. Motorcycles are almost exactly opposite all of that, having short intakes, turning very high rpm, and demanding excellent response to sudden and frequent changes in load state. You can run AvGas, and there's no real harm in doing so, other than the wasted money, and lost performance.

I have no problem keeping pump gas for a month or more. I use ARCO premium, and have never had trouble. But, I live in SoCal, and your local blend may be different. Fuel containing a higher percentage of ethanol may pull moisture out of the air, for one thing. Also, because I live in a more populous area, the fuel I buy is almost always fresh; buy from a busy station.

I use Amsoil MCF, and change every two or three ride days, depending on what those days were or will be like. 8-9 hours, tops under the best circumstances. The issue with these bikes is that the engine oil is used for the transmission, and the transmission will happily beat the crap out of any oil not made for that purpose. Lots of good automotive and commercial synthetics are basically just as good in most other regards, but unless you know how well it will hold its viscosity in a YZF, buy it cheap and change it every ride. Otherwise, use one proven to stand up.

Don't know what your question is on valves, exactly, but it's a good idea on a new bike to check the clearance right after break in to be sure nothing settled a little or no one made a mistake. Then check again in 10 hours, again in another 10-15, and by then, you should have an idea of how it's going to hold clearance. If it's like it's predecessors, you might have to adjust one or two at first, but it may be years until it needs it again.

• fishkiller

Posted February 02, 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the great response!
Of course the age old debate of the AV gas will never be cleared up but it has done wonders for my ping prone yz and has made my jetting easy for sure.
Sounds like the highest quality pump gas I canget is the way to go I did not know about any additives or boosters for the ethanol blend we get today?
I have no issues changing oil every hard ride. Have been using rotella for years with zero issues. Have not read about yall using that in these bikes though. I would like to continue to use it but only if it has been proven in these machines.
The whole valve thing sounds simple enough. Will do a valve adjustment search and of course talk to the dealer about adjustment and so forth and take it from there.
All in all sounds simple and straight forward. I am looking forward to the change and will be sure and report my findings.
Thanks again!

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2010 - 07:46 PM

Of course the age old debate of the AV gas will never be cleared up but it has done wonders for my ping prone yz and has made my jetting easy for sure.

It's been completely cleared up for a very long time, but myths die hard. Any lead bearing fuel will make reading spark plugs easier.

Next trip around try it this way:
http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBrown626

Posted February 02, 2010 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the great response!

Thanks again!

I found it stops pining, but a cheaper solution is setting the squish. Once that was set jetting is easier and no pinging. $4.60 a gallon is steep and you can't get it in as many places as you can get pump swill.

I am on the fence for getting a new 450 as well. I had an '04 and it didn't handle very well and the engine was too much. I like the handling of the 250 smoker, but need more usable power! Lots of shootout crap to read through and now the RMZ is out as well.

• fishkiller

Posted February 03, 2010 - 04:26 AM

I am hearing you about the usable power! I am in the same boat. Is the new RMZ supposed to be all that? The looks of the new Yam blow me away as well as the other features like the hand held power tuner.
I did set my squish on my smoker. I live within a mile of a local airport and the av gas runs me about 3.75. It is a VERY consistent fuel thet will last much much longer stored versus pump swill. Do not plan on running it in new bike.

• eazrider

Posted February 04, 2010 - 06:49 AM

It's been completely cleared up for a very long time, but myths die hard. Any lead bearing fuel will make reading spark plugs easier.

Next trip around try it this way:
http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

I have been using a 50/50 mix of 100LL Av gas and pump premium for the past 15 years in my vintage YZ 360. I altered port timing, tightened the squish up to .025, and could no longer use pump premium, as it would detonate unless I pulled the timing back or used expensive race fuel. I went the Av gas route ....no more pinging and I could run the timing where I wanted it. You are absolutely right, for me, this issue was cleared up years ago when I used Av gas as a solution to my specific problem......

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2010 - 07:48 AM

You are on a two-stroke, so your experience has no application to a four-stroke, and your pinging problem would have been cleared up by any fuel with adequate an octane number. So, you haven't addressed the fact that AvGas is unsuitable for a motorcycle in any way (even though a pinger's intake path is much longer than a four-stroke. If you want to start to see the real difference, start using a 100 or so octane fuel blended for almost any automotive or motorsport application. Even 100 octane pump gas is better, but of course, it's nearly impossible to find.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.