WR 450 First Ride Impressions

No replies to this topic
  • SoCA_DRZ

Posted February 02, 2010 - 11:38 AM

So, I picked up a barely used 2003 WR 450 from a friend of mine that just wanted it out of the garage. Super clean and low hours for $1,300. Added an Acerbis tank and a BRP sub mount, and it's ready to ride. Took it for it's maiden voyage this weekend, and here are my thoughts:

The Good:

Bike has tons of low end torque. Tractored up anything I pointed it at.

Really didn't feel the extra weight while riding. The bike was surprisingly flickable. Only time I felt the weight was when I had to pick it up. Felt fine
in the rocky technical canyons.

Bike turned great. Again, another surprise. I did raise the forks about 7mm. I forgot how easy it is to turn the big 4 strokes with a twist of the throttle and using the rear wheel.

I really liked the ergonomics. Bike feels thin and bar position was good. I installed a BRP sub mount.

Suspension felt good in the little rocks.

The Bad:

Suspension is way too soft. I was using ALL of the travel. I need to respring it. I'm 210 without gear.

Bike deflected in the bigger rocks. I need to play with the fork rebound. Could also be a function of the too soft springs.

Seat is a brick.

Overall, I really liked the bike. Just for comparison, my last few bikes have either been small bore thumpers or 2 strokes. I have the 04 starter torque gear parts on order to do the upgrade.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.