Fork Seal Help

4 replies to this topic
  • pedman

Posted May 14, 2003 - 05:52 PM

Did it for the first time. I have never blown a fork seal but I did the other night on a ride out at Horsehead Springs (fun area). I know others may have gone through this experience and i just wonder what I am up against.

Any insight or comments are greatly appreciated. Primarily are there things to do to avoid it in the future?

Thanks in advance :)

• MN_Kevin

Posted May 15, 2003 - 02:54 AM

Did it for the first time...

So you ALREADY installed the seals?

Do you want advice on how to save your seals (use Sealsavers and/or ensure your fork legs are perfectly parallel all the way down to the AXLE)??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DesertChris

Posted May 15, 2003 - 04:49 AM

Take a look at this thread. I was able to clean mine and get the leaking to stop.
http://207.44.228.67...true#Post532853

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 15, 2003 - 05:25 AM

Yup Seal savers Ditto That a must have Mod

• pedman

Posted May 16, 2003 - 09:28 AM

NH_Kevin,

No, I have not replaced them yet, just looking for some insight before the attempt this weekend. I like the article on cleaning and i will take a good look at it before I replace the seal.

What I meant on the "Did it for the first time", I have never blown a fork seal before. The bike is 11 months old, bought new and I would have never thought that I would have this problem. Couple of reasons, comparing to my old XR, I have never bottomed out on the front or rear, alot of times I did on the XR. Secondly, I have never touch the settings on the dampening or rebound on the Yamaha.

I did recently (ride previously) blow the front tube coming down on a rock and I have wondered if that was the start. Anyway, I have considered the Seal Savers, but unless you know what causes the seal to go out I am not sure if they help. (go ahead and comment here :))

Perfectly Parallel? Help me on this thought, I think I know where you are going, but since I just replace my front tube, I may have missed something.

Look forward tot he replies :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.