Crf 230 vs crf 150r

16 replies to this topic
  • jefffoxsr

Posted February 01, 2010 - 02:20 PM

I have been looking at the specs for the 150R and it is really light. It's about 70# lighter than my 230. It must handle really well in the woods. I know this bike is made for the track, but does anyone ride theirs in the woods. How does it do compared to heavier bikes.
I would imagine it handles better.
Also, based on the dyno sheets I have seen the 150R should beat the 230 in acceleration and/or a drag race.
Is this true? Has anyone lined them up?
I think lighter is MUCH better for woods riding and I'm considering this bike.
What do you think based on your EXPERIENCE?

Thanks.

• IL8APEX

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:03 PM

Don't forget, the wheelbase and geometry will have a LOT to do with how the bike handles on Michigan singletrack. I'm not familiar with the 150R's dimensions, but I'll be the wheelbase is shorter than the 230's which could make it a lot of fun in the woods. The smaller front wheel would be a bummer on whooped out sand trails.

Check the 150R section, I believe they recommend additional flywheel weight for woods duty or you'll be kicking the thing back to life all the time.

-Tom

• 4strokeridertt

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:49 PM

Remember the 150R is a kid size frame and smaller than a 150F or 230F frame.

• gruberyz

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:58 PM

My wife went from a 2006 CRF230F to a 2007 CRF150F then to a 2009 CRF150R. The 150R will absolutly smoke a 230F or 150F however if you are a full sized guy you will be way cramped on the 150R. Suspension braking and handeling of the 150R are light years ahead of the air cooled bikes

• binny1316

Posted February 04, 2010 - 10:23 AM

I had a CRF 230F and my brother has a CRF 150R. We both ride a Gopher Dunes(sand track) which is a great place to compare bikes. We have our own dirt track and we race both bikes and I ride the wheels of my 230F and he still has better acceleration and power. If you are a smaller guy and willin to pay the maintance price on a CRF 150R. I would recommend it.

• jefffoxsr

Posted February 04, 2010 - 10:27 AM

What kind of maintenance are you referring to that might be different or more than the 230? Thanks for the great info. That's a great way to compare.

• Chuck.

Posted February 04, 2010 - 10:33 AM

The 150R engine is a high reving unicam water cooled engine like the CRF250/450, so it will have simular maintenance requirements.

The 150R chassis is a copy of the CR80/85 chassis, hence the cramped cockpit, short wheelbase, and better suspension than the 150F/230F. I bet a part fiche search would find a lot of chassis parts interchange with the CR80/85.

• 98rm250_90cr500

Posted February 04, 2010 - 10:39 AM

If you can fit on the 150 then get it it will blow away the 230 in every department handling power suspension it litteraly is a mini version of the 450 all most the same power to weight ratio if you add that up its a first class mini bike, best you can buy. if your a bigger guy get a 250 f It is a little bigger than your bike but lots of power and great in the woods.

how tall are you out of curiosity my kids and wife ride the 150 there aboute 5'3" and touch well on the balls of there feet i ride it sometimes for fun im 5'10 and it feels tiny but still hauls my but around like a rocked ship i weigh 220 and its a beast of a bike but i wouldn't ride it every day i have a 250 2t Rm and a RMZ 450!! if your a bigger rider and realy wan't some snap in the woods get a 250 2 stroke. 3rd gear single track wheelys are fun and if you FWW it it will realy tame it down and give you lots of power and cheep maintenance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jefffoxsr

Posted February 04, 2010 - 11:09 AM

So will this 150R have the same valve problems as the Honda 250 engines have had?

• gruberyz

Posted February 04, 2010 - 11:15 AM

If you bump the rev limiter a lot yes. If you don't goes long time without needing work

• jefffoxsr

Posted February 04, 2010 - 11:16 AM

I drive pretty tame without high revs. Just easy trail riding.

• binny1316

Posted February 05, 2010 - 09:27 AM

I would recomend a CRF 250R, I have a CRF 230F and then I bought a CRF 250R and the maintance was alot better then the CRF 150R(brothes bike) because you don't need to rev it as much to produce the same power. I sold my CRF 250R and bought a CRF 450R
which is enough power for anywhere and alot better on maintance then the CRF 150R because im only in first or second gear and low revs. The only thing with the competitive bikes like the CRF R's is the maintance. Compared to my CRF 230F there a big step up. If you were to buy a CRF 250R or CRF 450R you would NEED to change the oils and clean the air filter after every 6-10HRS. They always say the top end will go and the valves but there not an issue if you change you oils(engine/Transmisson) and clean your air filter which is about 20mins of work and about $15.00 every time.

The CRF 150R is a mean bike but a really stressed motor which requires a re-built engine every 15-20hrs. They are like this because your getting about 17HP out of a 150CC engine.

If your a confident guy I would recommend a CRF 250R or CRF 450R. You won't need anymore power then this. If your not comfortable with these kinda bikes then I would stick with the CRF 230F, there alot better on maintance and will run strong every time.

binny1316

• jefffoxsr

Posted February 05, 2010 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the great info. Did I read that correctly when you said the 150R will need a top end every 15 to 20 hours? If so then that's CRAZY.

Is everyone else doing rebuilds on these so soon even the typical KTm 250 or 450 doesn't need a rebuild until at least 400 hours. I can't speak for other high power bikes.

• tke961

Posted February 05, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the great info. Did I read that correctly when you said the 150R will need a top end every 15 to 20 hours? If so then that's CRAZY.

It all depends on how you ride it. I'm guessing 15-20 hrs is with it being raced.

• coeshow

Posted February 06, 2010 - 01:26 PM

jefffoxsr,

I have read many of your posts and you seem like an intelligent person. For this reason I don't understand why you seem conflicted on two very different bikes for your needs. I have been following this thread and read where you claim that you ride pretty tame without high revs, just easy trail riding. If this is truly the case, why are you even considering a competition CRF150R ? If you ride as you claim, the CRF150R is absolutley the wrong bike.

If you don't rev the crap out of the the CRF150R and keep it in its narrow power band, it remains in bog mode. A competiton bike is designed to be raced and the engine pushed and kept near its limit to extract maximum power. Thats one of the reasons why they are short lived.

You have to ride it like you stole it constantly to experience its potential. In all honesty, the CRF150R is a 4 stroke version of the CR85, with nearly identical ergonomics and similar power delivery. If you are a 12 year old, you will likely find the ergonomics to your liking. If not, it will feel small because it it. It is a kids race bike!

If you truly only ride trails, you will be far better off with a trail bike. Use the best tool for the job at hand. Trail bikes for the trails, race bikes for the race tracks. I understand that many need one bike to fulfill many riding roles. If this is the case, you should consider something with more displacement and better longevity. There have already been a couple of posts pointing this out.

• jefffoxsr

Posted February 06, 2010 - 01:40 PM

coeshow, your information was very helpful as usual. It was exactly what I needed and what I was looking for. Thank you very much for your contribution to this thread and to the forum. :ride:

• Torqd

Posted February 06, 2010 - 06:13 PM

If you want a smaller faster bike get a cheap 150 and mod the motor. I have what I think is a great compromise. A 150 chassis with 150 motor, 230 bottom end, and a big bore on top of that. 240-252 depending what top end ou go with. It will yank your arms out of socket practically. You save a little weight over the 230 because of the smaller wheels and no electric start. I have dragged a few 150r's and I can pull them. You can get 25-30 hp from a motor like this. The plus to this setup is the cockpit size and monster torque compared to the 150r. I also opted for better suspension, works shock and 85 front end. The options are endless and it has been a fun project. Good Luck finding what you are looking for!

P.S. Mike has helped me on several motor combos and they have all performed above and beyond my expectations!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF150F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF150F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF230F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF230F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

crf230f or crf250x what should i buy? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

What is the loudest aftermarket exhaust/muffler for a 09 crf230f by 230REVHEAD

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

85 2 stroke or 150R by Bill_B

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  78 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.