Very strange '01 426????

8 replies to this topic
  • itscole

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:52 AM

I accidently posted under WR earlier.
My son went riding today. Came back, and told me that the bike ran great until it just died (locked up). He said it was really hard to get the kick started to move but was finally able to get it to kick over and eventually start. He said it ran perfect? for 10mins idle and then he rode it over some whoops and the same thing happened. I went out to the shed (its dark now). It feels different kicking it over now, somehow out of time? It almost seems I can't get a full kick out of it without compression building at the bottom of the kick? Sounds like timing skipped? Is that possible on this bike? If not what could it be? How much to fix? Or is it simple? Sure does not sound good from what he told me and what I have felt out in the dark.

• Forddriver45

Posted February 01, 2010 - 09:02 AM

Mine 01 did something like that. It was the main rode bearing . when it heated up it would lock up .

• itscole

Posted February 01, 2010 - 11:38 AM

This bike has apparently had the top end rebuilt too, however we have ridden it probably 20 hours since rebuilt. Or more. Just can't understand his explanation. I can't see the thing seizing like he said then starting again?

• Forddriver45

Posted February 01, 2010 - 02:34 PM

It gets a bad spot in it . It just spins free till it gets to a hard spot then with a lil bit of playen wit it will free up .:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • itscole

Posted February 01, 2010 - 03:04 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It gets a bad spot in it . It just spins free till it gets to a hard spot then with a lil bit of playen wit it will free up . "

That is basically what he said happened. But why? Do I need to rebuild the damn thing...again. I swear I have never had a more tempremental 4 stroke before. I think I will go back to 2 strokes after this thing. I guess I have to go out therej and start tearing it apart!

• Forddriver45

Posted February 01, 2010 - 03:39 PM

u can send off the crank and get it fixed r get a new r used on off of ebay but there pricey.

• itscole

Posted February 01, 2010 - 04:42 PM

I guess I was in denial. It is the only thing that matches what the kid said. I have no light where it is at and can't get to it in the light until tomorrow. I can't believe he cooked it.

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2010 - 05:02 PM

u can send off the crank and get it fixed r get a new r used on off of ebay but there pricey.

Can you repeat that in English, please? It might be worth reading.

• 642MX

Posted February 01, 2010 - 07:43 PM

Sounds like a big end bearing.... not a bad job, but parts are not cheap.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.