Gentleman! Fork cap wrench size (wr450 03')

8 replies to this topic
  • phynx

Posted January 31, 2010 - 09:21 PM

Does anyone know the size to this- Fork cap wrench size for the 03' wr450?
I would like to place an order, but looking on flea bay for the right one.
Thanks

• SXP

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:59 AM

An adjustable wrench works just fine.

• phynx

Posted February 01, 2010 - 07:06 AM

Thanks.. I will do that if I can't get the right cap wrench by the weekend.

• deeptread

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:09 PM

make sure to loosen the top clamp

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phynx

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:20 PM

make sure to loosen the top clamp

I don't understand why?

• wr450mazz

Posted February 02, 2010 - 06:00 AM

Because the fork clamp will be compressing on the threads on the cap....loosen the clamp and see how easy it is to undo the cap.

• phynx

Posted February 02, 2010 - 07:17 AM

Because the fork clamp will be compressing on the threads on the cap....loosen the clamp and see how easy it is to undo the cap.

Okay, okay.. I was gonna remove the tibes off the bike any how, so that should work just as. Thanks

• SXP

Posted February 02, 2010 - 10:17 AM

Okay, okay.. I was gonna remove the tibes off the bike any how, so that should work just as. Thanks

Loosen the top pinch bolts first as stated earlier, then loosen the cap, THEN remove the fork tubes from the triple clamps. This way you use the bike itself as a clamp/holder while trying to loosen the fork caps. The usefulness of this procedure becomes especially evident if some gorilla before you had tightened the caps with no regard to proper torque values. Trying to loosen an overtightened fork cap with the tubes off the bike can be quite a trying experience as it is difficult to secure the forks unless you have appropriate (soft material) V-shaped jaw clamps for your vice.

Edited by SXP, February 02, 2010 - 10:42 AM.

• deeptread

Posted February 03, 2010 - 08:38 PM

That is exactly it,thank's for the informational post:thumbsup:
I would like to add that you dont have to crush the o-ring on the install.Good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.