2007 YZ250f Oil Reservoir on 2006 450f

5 replies to this topic
  • Ted3884

Posted January 31, 2010 - 06:30 PM

Can I increase my 2006 YZ450f oil capacity by installing an oil reservoir off of a 2007 YZ250f? I look like it would fit in that big gap in the front of the frame on my 450f.

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2010 - 07:56 AM

Theoretically, yes, but the question is in how you would tie it into the existing oil system. You would need a line from the bottom of the external tank running into the internal reservoir of the 450, and a balance line at the top of each. Then, you would need to tie into the return circuit and run a second return line from the left side cover to the external tank so that oil would be returned to both reservoirs, thus ensuring that all the oil was circulated with reasonable uniformity.

Possible, but certainly not simple.

• swatdoc

Posted February 02, 2010 - 02:36 AM

Gray - if you used the oil tank off the 250, would it be possible to use the oil pump that replaces the oil filter cover from the PWR stage 3 cooling kit, and just route the hoses to the 250 tank? This is assuming of course that PWR would sell you just the oil pump!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2010 - 11:03 AM

I thought that was just a cover, not a pump...(?)

Either way, I don't like the idea, because that would basically make the external reservoir a "wide spot" in the feed circuit. The external tank would need to be kept free of air, for one thing. That's not AS big an issue with just a cooler, but I don't like putting it on the feed side even then.

• swatdoc

Posted February 02, 2010 - 03:20 PM

actually my bad, you're correct - I think of it as a pump, but it's just a cover with fittings actually. It uses the pressure from the stock pump in the cases.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2010 - 04:22 PM

actually my bad, you're correct - I think of it as a pump, but it's just a cover with fittings actually. It uses the pressure from the stock pump in the cases.

Yeah, see, then it would put the oil tank on the high pressure side of things. Not good. The tank would constantly be ballooning from the pressure, and any air in the tank would delay the pressure rise to the downstream components.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.