WR 450 Maintenance Questions

14 replies to this topic
  • norm02

Posted January 31, 2010 - 07:19 AM

Hey guys,
I am thinking about buying a WR450 and I have some questions for you guys. I posted a thread on the "what bike should I buy" thread and there some people that are of the opinion that the WR's are a pain in the butt to work on. Do you guys who own the bikes, (07+) feel like they are difficult to work on and why?

I would like to know how often you guys are doing your oil changes, valve checks, replacing top ends, etc. I am debating on getting a WR and a KTM 450 XC-W or a 2t 300XC-W. Once I buy the bike I am not going to be able to sink $500+ into the bike every few months or so. I am trying to get a really good idea of what to expect to spend on this bike during the course of ownership.

I am going to be riding in the woods, desert, private ranch land and fire roads with this bike. I plan on riding it pretty hard most of the time, but I will also probably mess around on it some too. I am not going to be abusing it at all and I plan on doing the best maint that I can for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• ASternad

Posted January 31, 2010 - 07:53 AM

09 WR450 - Valve cover is a pain, Carb is a pain, the frame covers these items pretty good. Oil changes not a big deal.
This is my 2nd WR and I don't plan on adjusting valves in the next 12 months, due to my riding style (trails, gear high) . In short once you dial in a WR, it's pretty bullet proof.
Oil changed every 150Miles and Air filter change every 2nd ride in summer, (winter varies)

• ohioryder

Posted January 31, 2010 - 08:57 AM

He about summed it up.

• norm02

Posted January 31, 2010 - 09:18 AM

Right on. I am not super good at working on bikes, but I can certainly change my own oil etc. I may have to get some help on checking the valves or just take it some where and have them do it. How much is it usually to check and adjust the valves?

• Slick_Nick

Posted January 31, 2010 - 10:43 AM

Sorry, but if you want cheap maintenance, buy a two-stroke...

• norm02

Posted January 31, 2010 - 12:56 PM

I am considering one of those as well.

• init ref

Posted February 01, 2010 - 11:54 AM

06 and earlier steel framed WRs are much easier to work on. Valve clearance check-45 mins and no cussing with pre-07 models. 07 and later-1.5 hr and a fair bit of profanity. Either way, once the valve cover is off the actual adjustment is pretty much the same, if needed.

The good new is that if you don't thrash them and keep up with oil changes and air filter cleanings you only have to do it once a year. Or at least I do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • norm02

Posted February 01, 2010 - 01:21 PM

That is good to know. Thanks for all of the help!

• jlow

Posted February 01, 2010 - 04:03 PM

norm2, if you are going to be riding it hard, you may want to think of possibly doing the suspension on the wr and figuring that into the evercomplicating equation. depending on your weight and style and if you need springs or not will play a big part. i didn't need the springs and revalved front and rear myself with help from davej at smartperformanceinc.com for less than i ever expected to pay. was very easy to do, just a little time invested. haven't posted my review yet, but love it so far. jlow

• norm02

Posted February 02, 2010 - 04:20 AM

Yeah I was thinking about hat as well. I'm 6'2 and I weigh about 215lbs

• Strattos

Posted February 05, 2010 - 03:20 PM

09 WR450 - Valve cover is a pain, Carb is a pain, the frame covers these items pretty good. Oil changes not a big deal.
This is my 2nd WR and I don't plan on adjusting valves in the next 12 months, due to my riding style (trails, gear high) . In short once you dial in a WR, it's pretty bullet proof.
Oil changed every 150Miles and Air filter change every 2nd ride in summer, (winter varies)

What he said. In terms of the oil changes and air filters I think the same would apply to any brand of bike in this category - ie enduro/hard core off-road as opposed to a trail bike.

Valves, apart from the bloody valve cover, are less of a maintenance chore with the WRs from what I hear because you're not doing them as often as say a CRF. A lot of guys, including myself, tend to keep a closer eye on them as soon as they buy their bike and then check them maybe once a year as they're that reliable and don't move a hell of a lot. I've done 8000ks on my 08 and never had to ajust them.

• projected

Posted February 07, 2010 - 08:20 PM

The YZ/WR engines are proven reliable. The 08+ are proven to have quite a few issues.

Get the 300 if you like:

1 drain bolt, no oil filter, 5 minute oil changes
Your bike to ride/feel light
To NEVER have to check valves
Technical riding
Easy carb access
Overheating (Seems like all KTM’s, especially with auto clutches) :ride:
Low cost rebuild in the rare case of catastrophic failure
Super quiet and powerful
Low stress lifestyle

• trinc4me

Posted February 12, 2010 - 07:13 PM

The YZ/WR engines are proven reliable. The 08+ are proven to have quite a few issues.

Get the 300 if you like:

Technical riding
Easy carb access
Overheating (Seems like all KTM’s, especially with auto clutches) :ride:
Super quiet and powerful
Low stress lifestyle

What 300 are you referring to?

• Butta

Posted February 12, 2010 - 07:27 PM

What issues exist with the 08+ WRs???

• projected

Posted February 12, 2010 - 09:02 PM

The YZ/WR engines are proven reliable. The 08+ [COLOR="Red"]KTM 4 strokes [/COLOR]are proven to have quite a few issues.

Get the [COLOR="red"]KTM [/COLOR]300 [COLOR="Red"](or any 2 stroke) [/COLOR] if you like:

Technical riding
Easy carb access
Overheating (Seems like [COLOR="Red"]most[/COLOR] KTM’s, especially with auto clutches) :ride: [COLOR="Red"]KTM specific not all 2 strokes[/COLOR]
Super quiet and powerful
Low stress lifestyle

I left a couple things out in my reply :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.