Steering Dampers - - Are they really worth it?

24 replies to this topic
  • adeakins

Posted May 16, 2003 - 03:51 PM

GPR direct cost me $305 delivered. Got it last week. This was for the "kit", which included the post, bar clamp and damper.

• YZ400Court

Posted May 16, 2003 - 04:52 PM

This is the latest from GPR. It mounts below the bars. It has the bar clamp built in.
:D :) :D

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 16, 2003 - 06:27 PM

I have a Scotts on my '99 WR. When it's time to sell the WR the Scott's IS NOT included - it has saved my butt more times than I care to admit.

Mine is mounted underneath my bars on Scott's 'Universal' mount because I run Thumper Racing Bar Risers. There is a picture of this set-up on Scott's webpage somewhere. I don't adjust mine on the fly so I'm seriously considering the fender mount set-up so I can swap the unit between my WR & my KX500 - different bar positions so a top mount won't work.

• Junior_Vet

Posted May 16, 2003 - 08:46 PM

I just finished my 1st 4 motos with my Scotts and I believe that it saved my butt a few times that I got crossed up bad. I just rode out of it and never lost a place. It even seems to work in the air somehow. I bought mine from Chris at steering and no problems. Fast shipping direct from Scotts. Good price.

I might even start to "Pretend it's flat and give it gas" :)

• newrider

Posted May 17, 2003 - 04:56 AM

Point being, when was the last time you snapped a fender off at the triple clamp?? If this happens regularly then the low mount will probably cause you some problems.

Yes this would be cause for concern if happening regularly. So far I've only had one major incident with a tree and it whacked my number plate above the fender, might have got a dampener had there been one there. I've sent an email to and plan to order one. Thanks!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.