oil strainer

8 replies to this topic
  • 96warrior

Posted May 14, 2003 - 04:06 AM

Well I pulled, accidently broke off some fo the light blue wire. Installed my frame gaurds, changed the oil filter, and drained the oil.

But I cannot get the oil strainer to break loose. The biggest size metric wrench I have is a 22(what siz is it?). Every fastener I've loosened so far is rediculasly tight. What size does it take, and has anyone else had this problem. I don't want to strip it anymore then it already is.

• critter

Posted May 14, 2003 - 05:46 AM

I had the same problem, it must be a Michigan thing. I gave up rather than totally screwing it up or worse yet :) .

Sorry I could'nt offer any help...but I feel your pain.

• YZ250F49

Posted May 14, 2003 - 06:40 AM

On my 250F, I believe it is a 19mm. I had to remove the hose first (which was a TOTAL PAIN) and then use a socket to remove the strainer.
And yes, it seemed like every fastener on the bike was super tight.

• 96warrior

Posted May 14, 2003 - 12:30 PM

So I should try to remove the hose? :) I wanna ride tommorow! I don't want to mess the hose up though. And I wanna see if it starts easier now. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oRGie

Posted May 14, 2003 - 12:52 PM

the bolts are tight cos if they aint the vibration of the engine will loose you loads of nuts and bolts.. I learnt to use a little blue loctite when i re-assemble anything on mine.. :)

• YZ250F49

Posted May 14, 2003 - 01:55 PM

Well you have to to get the strainer off. I used a small screwdriver, pliers w/ a rag and WD-40 to try and loosen the hose until I finally got it off.
Spray the WD-40 inside the hose while trying to pry it open with the screwdriver. Be careful not to rip or damage the hose.
GOOD LUCK! :)

• postalrider

Posted May 14, 2003 - 04:19 PM

does the strainer have a copper washer?mine does not,and after i changed the oil it drips. :)

• foursmoke

Posted May 14, 2003 - 05:15 PM

It's supposed too have one. Are you sure it just didn't stick to the frame when you pulled it out, mine did.

• 96warrior

Posted May 18, 2003 - 09:33 AM

I got it off! Got a tip from a yz 426 owner, and got help from a friend. You have to take the line off that goes into the case. Pull back the hose a bit with needle nose pliers, then yank it off. I got the strainer unturned with a 15/16 box end wrench. It fit nicely on the newly rounded corners. You need to have someone there(to hang on to the bike) while you beat on the wrench. But I did not find ANYTHING in there, it was perfectly clean. I'm glad I finnaly got to ride my bike again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.