I am an IDIOT!!!

9 replies to this topic
  • motodiver13

Posted January 30, 2010 - 03:10 PM

So I started re-assembly on my 98 WR400 today. I was pressing the bearings into the case. The right side went great. I froze the bearings and heated the case in the oven and all was well.

The left side... another story. The crank bearing went in great. When I got to the counter shaft bearing it was a bit hard going in, so like a dumb ass I forced it and CRACK:bonk::ride::lol: The case cracked around the outside at the lower part of the bearing suraface.

Now my question is: I need a new case half. Can I buy just the left side, or do I have to buy as a pair? Has anyone replaced one side without any problems?

Thanks

• Birdy426

Posted January 30, 2010 - 08:49 PM

Bad news...the cases are machined as a matched set, so you have to buy both...keep an eye out on e-Bay...

• motodiver13

Posted January 31, 2010 - 08:05 AM

Just bought a set on ebay. $150 THANKS

• Birdy426

Posted January 31, 2010 - 08:53 AM

Cool. I know I don't need to say this, but double check the new bearing against the old bearing. On my 426, that really wasn't a heavy press fit...

• motodiver13

Posted January 31, 2010 - 01:02 PM

Thanks, I will. I think I may have gotten it in slightly out of straight. I will be more patient next try.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phynx

Posted January 31, 2010 - 09:25 PM

So I started re-assembly on my 98 WR400 today. I was pressing the bearings into the case. The right side went great. I froze the bearings and heated the case in the oven and all was well.

The left side... another story. The crank bearing went in great. When I got to the counter shaft bearing it was a bit hard going in, so like a dumb ass I forced it and CRACK:bonk::ride::lol: The case cracked around the outside at the lower part of the bearing suraface.

Now my question is: I need a new case half. Can I buy just the left side, or do I have to buy as a pair? Has anyone replaced one side without any problems?

Thanks

Put those bearings in dry-ice next time. You should not have to heat the cases up. The bearing should drop in. Do a YOUTUBE search.. I think there is an install there.

• motodiver13

Posted February 05, 2010 - 08:53 PM

Sweet phynx i'll try the dry ice but might heat up the cases just for good measure. Now I have to get the new bearings out of the old case. If the old cases are worthless now, I was thinking a little coaxing with the chisel around bearing locating surface so I don't have to put any pressure on the bearing?

• KTMrideR146

Posted February 05, 2010 - 08:57 PM

I am an IDIOT!!!

welcome to my world

• SXP

Posted February 05, 2010 - 09:35 PM

welcome to my world

Oh oh! Whatcha do?:ride:

• KTMrideR146

Posted February 06, 2010 - 09:54 AM

Oh oh! Whatcha do?:ride:

to many things to list since the time ive started riding untill now. haha. i gues u can expect that to happen when u start trying to work on ur bikes at 10 years old. Im only 16 now. i mess shit up and then dear old dad needs to come in and help fix it. (and pay for it) haha.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.